I purchased the wrong model

Reaction score
I got my phantom today, but had thought I'd bought the phantom 2.
nope...it was my bad all the way.

I've got the gopro3 black and zenmuse h3-2d.

What am I not getting with this as opposed to the 2? Maybe I should return and re-order the 2?

thanks

You may still have a Phantom 2, there's two different models: The Phantom 2 Vision (with the DJI camera) and a "regular" Phantom 2, which can and often does come with a H3-2D for a gopro.

Or, you could have a Phantom 1 with that same gimbal.

Er, the P2 has got Phantom 2 written on the box, even the Vision has Phantom2 written on it...

If it's a P1 it hasn't...

Not to sound condescending, but it's really that simple. Just go to the Dji site and you'll clearly see the differences. Main physical one being the battery.

I know which model I have, the 1.1
but I thought I had ordered the 2 from B&H

clicked on the wrong one I guess.

my question is what I'm missing by not getting the 2?

I've got the Gopro 3 and gimbal and plan to do real estate videos. Get that battery life is roughly half what i'd get on a Phantom 2. I can order additional batteries, but is there something else I'm missing by not using the 2

app and ground control work okay?
anything else?

whatthetech said:
I know which model I have, the 1.1
but I thought I had ordered the 2 from B&H

clicked on the wrong one I guess.

my question is what I'm missing by not getting the 2?

I've got the Gopro 3 and gimbal and plan to do real estate videos. Get that battery life is roughly half what i'd get on a Phantom 2. I can order additional batteries, but is there something else I'm missing by not using the 2

app and ground control work okay?
anything else?
The battery life is what you've given up to save several hundred dollars. Other than that, your Phantom 1 is as good as a Phantom 2. I bought, and lost, a Phantom 2 Vision. I replaced it with a much less costly FC40, but I miss the extra minutes of battery life that I got from my Vision. So I ordered from B and H a week ago the Phantom 2 package with GoPro 3+ Black Edition, motorized gimbal and extra 5200mah battery, for $2193 plus shipping. I'm greatly looking forward to having a shake-reducing gimbal.
Question: is the DJI gimbal the same as the ZenMuse gimbal? My thinking at the moment is that they're one and the same.

Couldn't a P1 owner add the dual battery holders and achieve a similar flight time as the P2?

Phantom 2 has:
  • an upgraded board
  • upgraded battery
  • Built in gimbal control lever already installed on the radio
  • Built in wiring for the zenmuse (already plugged into the board...dangling out the bottom ready to plug in to the gimbal
  • Naza M version TWO
  • dual antennas
  • Built in FPV wiring

Not sure if the P1 radio had springs on the control sticks to return to neutral....

If you're sure you have the 1.1 and not the 1.1.1, I'd send it back and ask B&H to credit you that amount towards a regular (non-Vision) P2. The 1.1.1 has some of the upgrades GundoLarry mentions above (Naza v2, dual antennas etc) and might be worth keeping and upgrading further, but the 1.1 probably isn't worth the time/effort.

You can get a Phantom 1 to nearly the flight times of a P2/P2V, but it takes some time and effort, a fair bit of skill, and an additional investment in equipment that might not justify the amount of money you'd initially save getting the P1. In your situation, I'd probably be inclined to just get the P2 w/a Zenmuse and you'll be work-ready sooner that way.

GundoLarry said:
Phantom 2 has:
  • an upgraded board
  • upgraded battery
  • Built in gimbal control lever already installed on the radio
  • Built in wiring for the zenmuse (already plugged into the board...dangling out the bottom ready to plug in to the gimbal
  • Naza M version TWO
  • dual antennas
  • Built in FPV wiring

Not sure if the P1 radio had springs on the control sticks to return to neutral....

Sorry it's a proprietary version of the NAZA 2 for the Phantom with software that looks for the factory battery. Try using an aftermarket battery and it won't start. Hopefully someone will come out with a hack, otherwise you need to swap NAZA's to use any other brand of battery.

The original Phantom is just fine and if needed can be upgraded much easier in the future. I used mine as a training tool and now have several TBS Disco's as replacements.

so will the P1 run the P2 vision app ? is there a work around? I feel like my P1 is great but that vision app with maps etc are a plus for navigation in my opinion

LuvMyTJ said:
Couldn't a P1 owner add the dual battery holders and achieve a similar flight time as the P2?

Adding an extra 2200mAh 20C battery will not increase flight times two fold due to the extra weight being added.

The P2 achieves longer flight times as the battery has a higher capacity but also a much lower C rating than your regular Turnigys', Nanotecs', 2dogs', etc... And hence smaller in size for comparable capacity. HobbyKing recently introduced a range of low C batteries ( 10C ) under the Multistar brand. As an example the 3S 4000mAh battery is only slightly bigger, by a few mm in the three dimensions, and 18g heavier, to that of the Turnigy 20C 2200mAh. I believe that currently they are only available via the International warehouse.

If you are a conservative flyer, floaty style, a 10C rating is adequate but if you fly as if your hair is on fire then a higher discharge rating will be needed :D

Another alternative that has been very well documented on this site is to swap the shells on a V1 Phantom for those of a P2 so to allow the internal fitting of larger batteries.

Regards

Nidge

Eye Flight said:
so will the P1 run the P2 vision app ? is there a work around? I feel like my P1 is great but that vision app with maps etc are a plus for navigation in my opinion

Nope and nope. Only the P2V/P2V+ can use that app, even the regular P2 wasn't invited to that party.

If you want the waypoints functions that app emulates, you can add the full groundstation to the P1...it's the full-featured version of what P2v/P2V+ owners use (only the waypoints part though, it doesn't include FPV display). Might take a little tinkering to get it on your P1 depending on what model it is and the options you already have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4