I noticed something in the FC40 controller

Reaction score
Phantom II 2.4ghz?!

Say what?

Attachments

• 20140527_193328.jpg
    20140527_193328.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 534
So we have a Phantom II board it seems...

Would that mean that it might be possible to switch frequencies ??

Mandrake said:

one would think, since its currently running 5.8, yet labeled 2.4.

Then it just comes down to changing the phantom to 2.4

shaskill said:
So for a newbie, where in the picture is the spare 7 th channel?

I believe the port for the 7th channel is on the end of the NAZA module.

i am about to purchase an fc40. how new is this purchase? where did you buy this from and how long ago?

It really doesn't matter what is screen printed on the PCB, that pcb is just the encoder circuits and power regulator.
what matters is what chipset is in the radio that is in the shielded box next to the PCB where the antenna is connected at.

dragonash said:
Mandrake said:

If you get a different radio on it.
I have yet to put an eye on the different radios in the controllers to be able to positively ID the 2.4 and 5.8

dragonash said:
Mandrake said:

Like I said before you will have to change both radios in the controller and the craft to match.

shaskill said:

The 7th cannel POT (potentiometer) is one of the two yellow adjustments to the left of your photo.
When you are looking a the back of the controller is it the one that is top most position.

Witch is a really bad design. These POT's are not designed to be operated on a constant basis.
They are to be set to a point and left alone.

You real need a POT that is made for every day use that actually has a knob not a place to put a adjustment tool.
There are a tone of youtube vids for this mod.

KG4MXV said:
shaskill said:

The 7th cannel POT (potentiometer) is one of the two yellow adjustments to the left of your photo.
When you are looking a the back of the controller is it the one that is top most position.

Witch is a really bad design. These POT's are not designed to be operated on a constant basis.

You real need a POT that is made for every day use that actually has a knob not a place to put a adjustment tool.
There are a tone of youtube vids for this mod.

Strange to sell the GS ipad for tye FC40 and have this setup!

ya but you have to as one poster pointed out change the radio board that the antenna attaches to in the controller. It just plugs in and is attacked with some double sided foam tape. As well as the receiver board in the fc40 would have to be replaced and also probably the antenns as well on the tx and the phantom. Id also imagine you would also then want to change the camera to 5.8ghz so it did not interfere with the 2.4ghz transmitter if switched to be a 2.4hz But that seems like a lot to go threw and cant seem to see what the advantage would be. Inless some one wanted better light range but that can already be achieved by just putting a better antenna on the 5.8ghz transmitter. I've now been able to push mine out to 2000m or 1.3 miles and would of been able to of gone farther if I had remembered to set the default 2000m radius in the naza to let it go more then 2000 meters. Tho I would not want to go past 1.5 miles with its limited flight time on a battery and still have plenty of power to make sure it can also get back home with some time to spare.

Ya it would be much better if that was a real variable resistor knob that was made to be turned repeatedly. Tho It would not be that hard of a fix to solder a real one and wires in its place and mount the knob some place on the face of the controller.

Yeah there are two parts to the transmitter's radio board. There's the main board which has the two adjustment knobs which has the 2.4ghz sticker on it, then there's the actual transmitter which is plugged in to the main board (it's the shiny one the antenna plugs into on the left). The FC40 uses the same board as the phantom 2 which was designed to plug into different radios for different markets and for different models.

The receiver in the Phantom itself is very small and very easy to replace. You can actually buy the DJI Phantom 2.4ghz receiver module brand new for just $15 bucks. Unfortunately though, they do not sell the individual Radio module for the controller separately at all, you must buy a whole new radio and for the money you're better off going with an aftermarket one unless you find a used 2.4ghz phantom controller for 50 bucks or less.

I wish DJI would just sell the radio module or perhaps a switchable module so you could change between 2.4 and 5.8ghz. I love my FC40 camera. It's a great low-hassle way to get some basic FPV capability for filming things in short-range but it will interfere with 2.4ghz controllers and the 5.8ghz radio will interfere with the more common 5.8ghz fpv tx/rx setups. I ended up going with a 1.3ghz FPV setup but there is more interference with GPS and such with that. I'll switch to 2.4ghz controls someday but that means giving up the easy FC40 FPV setup.

If someone comes up with a dual frequency controller TX/RX setup, I'll be a buyer for sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20