I must have hit something in the air..

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I went to fly couple of batteries to practice advanced modes in Autopilot.

When I landed after my second battery was depleted I noticed blood in one of the propellers, in fact not just one but 2. I was shooting video the whole time so when I have time I am going to review the entire footage, but I do not see damage to the aircraft. Before each I always inspect all the propellers and the aircraft as a routine inspection and the blood was not there before I launched.
There were times during my flight that I was 2 miles out anywhere between 200 - 300 feet close to the mountains.

I may have hit a bird or something but that was not intentional, if I did I feel really sorry for hitting an actual bird.
I feel really bad if I indeed hit a bird. The amount of blood in the propellers suggest that whatever I became in contact with up in the air sustained a laceration.

Attachments

Mark The Droner

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Yeah - you might check your yaw and pitch log. Your gimbal/camera may not show it, but it should be in the log... or not

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I went to fly couple of batteries to practice advanced modes in Autopilot.

When I landed after my second battery was depleted I noticed blood in one of the propellers, in fact not just one but 2. I was shooting video the whole time so when I have time I am going to review the entire footage, but I do not see damage to the aircraft. Before each I always inspect all the propellers and the aircraft as a routine inspection and the blood was not there before I launched.
There were times during my flight that I was 2 miles out anywhere between 200 - 300 feet close to the mountains.

I may have hit a bird or something but that was not intentional, if I did I feel really sorry for hitting an actual bird.
I feel really bad if I indeed hit a bird. The amount of blood in the propellers suggest that whatever I became in contact with up in the air sustained a laceration.
Like dirkclod said that's just a fairly large bug. I get those on summer days when the bugs are out in full force.

Reaction score
Makes me feel much better, not that I'm not sympathetic to bugs but I would hate to know that it was a bird.

Reaction score
if you hit a bird we would be talking how you lost it

Reaction score
Lol. I had blood on 3 props. Watched it happen on landing 2' from me. My kill was a grasshopper. Yuch!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: flpholt
Reaction score
I'm no expert on biology however I thought insects have clear to yellowish greenish blood (no red blood cells). Maybe you hit a giant mozzie that was well fed?

Reaction score
I'm no expert on biology however I thought insects have clear to yellowish greenish blood (no red blood cells). Maybe you hit a giant mozzie that was well fed?
Whatever I hit did not have greenish blood, it had red blood.
The propellers were spotless clean before I launched.

Reaction score
If you drive a car in the country, you know that there ARE red bug guts. Maybe it isn't blood, but whatever it is, its from a bug.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reaction score
You hit a big mosquito that just had a 20min dinner on a cow, gorging himself. :eek:

Reaction score
I have had all kinds of colors for blood and guts on my props. Here's what happened to mine not that long ago ...

RodPad

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have had all kinds of colors for blood and guts on my props. Here's what happened to mine not that long ago ...

"not that long ago ..."
in a State not far away.... ;)

I think mine was still redder.

Rod

Reactions: SoCalDude
Reaction score

Why the heck would the bees attack your drone? And, it's pretty high up. I never envisioned bees flying that high,,, and attacking.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reaction score
Why the heck would the bees attack your drone? And, it's pretty high up. I never envisioned bees flying that high,,, and attacking.
If they are the Africanized bees (a.k.a. "killer" bees), then they will swarm and attack just about anything. The sound (pitch, frequency, etc) of the aircraft/props could have triggered the attack.

Reaction score
Bugs, that was my first surprise when I flew my drone for the first time. Don't be surprised if you fly in sport mode over a field...after a few minutes, your whole drone would be covered like the front of a car. 45 MPH + Swarm of bugs = messy clean up. I always wash my propellers at the end of the day and give my drone a good wipe down. Bug stains/poo will corrode your glossy finish over time..

Reaction score
I've had way more blood than that just from bugs . I think if you would have hit a bird you would know it .
That's what it is. Bugs. I couldn't figure out why my props were turning red and orange. I wipe the props every now and then so it's not a real chore, I just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheHumanTorch