I made an app (FREE)! Know your flight boundarys and more...

Reaction score
So before I got my Phantom I had an idea for a simple webapp that would allow me to log the launch site and various other information of each use of my Phantom. Basically a flight log book but with a web interface that would add to a database or email me.

I started one night and it turned into something entirely different. None of the original idea is even in what it turned out to be.

I ended up thinking about when I would be using the Phantom and was curious to know how far away from my launch site certain places where. I could roughly judge things but I couldn't know for sure.

How to use the app:
Once the webapp has launched click on the button in the top left of the screen. This will then use your iPhones inbuilt GPS module to locate you. You may be prompted to allow the webapp to locate you, if you want it to work you'll need to do this.

Once you have done this and it has located you closely enough it will display the information about where you are.

What is displayed:
* Textbox with your Lat,Long coordinates.
* Accuracy of these coordinates.
* Google Map with your location centered.
* 3 colours circles on the map if accuracy level is enough. Key notes the colours meaning.
* Text information about Lat/Long, Location Accuracy, Altitude, Altitude Accuracy, Date and Time information requested.
* Wind information for the nearest weather stations to your area. This has only been tested in the UK but should work everywhere (let me know).

Visit this link on your iOS device to use it:
http://66.7.201.40/~garyrowe/stuff/phantom/phantom_tool/

Demo of the webapp in use:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWDmDo2YzMw[/youtube]

Would love to know what people think. I'll eventually be making the Phantom Flight Log part of a webapp which has this above functionality as well as direct feed of DJI Twitter stream and also a light indications page which will be for quick reference when you get a sequence of lights you're not familiar with.

Hope this helps some people out.

Re: I made an app (FREE)! Know your flight boundarys and mor

I use this alot, its a good way of knowing your surroundings too if your flying in an unfamiliar area.

Maybe you should of looked at the wind speed before flying on Sunday G, might not of lost your quad. :lol: :roll: :|

in fact you face went :D :) :shock: :| :( :eek: :eek: :eek: :cry: lol

(just for the record, he got his quad back)

Works great so far in the US.

If anyone would prefer the boundary circles distances to be changed I'm happy to do that.
At the moment they're set for what I thought I would need.

Tech spec on DJI's web site states that the TX has a range of 300m. Wouldn't that be the max range for safe flying? Is there a way to change the parameters for the distance boundaries like 300m is default with the provided TX, and then higher distances for other TX/RX combinations?

auck said:
Tech spec on DJI's web site states that the TX has a range of 300m. Wouldn't that be the max range for safe flying? Is there a way to change the parameters for the distance boundaries like 300m is default with the provided TX, and then higher distances for other TX/RX combinations?

Good point auck... I've done a quick update to include a blue circle to 300m point. It's hard to see because all the colours are layed on top of each other so it looks more of a mud colour. But it's there.

This is really great... thanks for your work!

Awesome, and thanks. Anyway to make it properly scale for the iPad?

I haven't tested it on an iPad yet but the new interface that will have many more features should scale properly.

HI am a newbie to Phantom flying but exactly how do you use this to keep the phantom inside this circle?? Just by visuals or can it be programmed not to fly outside this range?? I did install the app and it looks cool.

Can you make it an option to show Google Earth in lieu of Google map as the background??

insatiable said:
HI am a newbie to Phantom flying but exactly how do you use this to keep the phantom inside this circle?? Just by visuals or can it be programmed not to fly outside this range?? I did install the app and it looks cool.

Unfortunately it is just a simple tool for reference. It is in no way connected to the Phantom at all. Sorry.

But I just checked it again and you can select Satellite which is the Google Earth background. This is great for rural use.

Weather

Just wondering if the weather stations work around the world? I live in Australia and it hasnt picked up any.

I just got this app and so far it is very good. Cannot wait for my battery to charge and get out and try this app out! :D

Re: Weather

OverTheTop said:
Just wondering if the weather stations work around the world? I live in Australia and it hasnt picked up any.

I just got this app and so far it is very good. Cannot wait for my battery to charge and get out and try this app out! :D

I've actually removed the weather station information from the latest version I'm working on because of this. It's not that useful anyway because they are usually so far away.

Only just came across this.
Very nice work, looking forward to an iPad compatible version as the mapping will be more readable.

via iPad air

got it thanks very handy!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj