I Just Crashed my Vision Plus, I Need Help

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and looking for help. I purchased my Vision Plus 3 weeks ago and have spent hours learning to fly. Well, I crashed it. I took it off like normal and it veered left over my house, i lost sight, it hit a tree and crashed on the concrete bending both legs and sheering the camera completely off. The camera is scratched and was laying 3 feet away. The only thing i did different was in stall two new silver tipped props prior to flight. The props were after market and the black tips were DJI. It sounded different and didn't handle well….. So, i need advice. What do i do. I'm brand new to Flying and feel like vomiting. Do i send it back to DJI for repairs? Can it be repaired. The copter seems fine. Theres not a scratch but no telling whats damaged inside… Please help! Thank you in advance.

Sorry about your crash.

MOst likely the aftermarket props are the cause. Most here ONLY use DJI props due to so many inferioir aftermarket props not being balanced properly.

The real bad news? Most likely your Plus's camera and gimbal are toast. And there are no replacements available. Your only options are to contact your dealer where you purchased it to see if they do repairs or send it in to DJI in California. Be advised it will be a minimum of one month for DJI to even look at it.

Wow! I suspected as much. The camera is done… I bought it from DJI.. So i would imagine i would have to send it to them…. So it is repairable?

I was afraid of that. It looked expensive when I saw it laying in the driveway. I wish I would have known about the after market props. Thank you for your advice

Yes, the plus camera setup is not forgiving in hard landings. The non plus camera most likely would have survived the crash based on your description of how it happened and the excellent post crash condition of your phantom itself

Btnhoz said:
Wow! I suspected as much. The camera is done… I bought it from DJI.. So i would imagine i would have to send it to them…. So it is repairable?

I understand your pain brother...
My P2V+ fell out of the sky week or so ago, camera/gimbal wrecked. I too bought it direct from DJI website. After numerous emails to them they finally answered & advised to send it to DJI Kowoon in Hong Kong. Said it may take weeks to repair and that they'd advise me as to how much the repairs will cost. I do know the camera/gimbal set up costs in the region of at least $800US.
The copter itself was not damaged at all so I have decided to hang onto it until such times as parts are cheaper & more readily available. I still fly it every chance I get but have to keep it in sight, of course no camera. I have since ordered a new P2V+.
As for the after market props, hmmm most likely the cause. I assume you didn't balance them? Many people prefer to stick with the genuine DJI props. I personally prefer to use non self-tightening carbon fibre props, but they must be balanced before use. Never had an issue with them. (apart from the motors stopping whilst it was in the air)

I just talked to DJI in California on Friday regarding sending my baby in for repairs. The very nice chap who answered (Jason) said that they were expecting a shipment on Friday (May 30th) and they would start to issue RMAs on Monday (2 June).

Btnhoz said:
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and looking for help. I purchased my Vision Plus 3 weeks ago and have spent hours learning to fly. Well, I crashed it. I took it off like normal and it veered left over my house, i lost sight, it hit a tree and crashed on the concrete bending both legs and sheering the camera completely off. The camera is scratched and was laying 3 feet away. The only thing i did different was in stall two new silver tipped props prior to flight. The props were after market and the black tips were DJI. It sounded different and didn't handle well….. So, i need advice. What do i do. I'm brand new to Flying and feel like vomiting. Do i send it back to DJI for repairs? Can it be repaired. The copter seems fine. Theres not a scratch but no telling whats damaged inside… Please help! Thank you in advance.
I'm curious why you changed props, and why did you only change two of them?

Fred_C_Dobbs said:
I just talked to DJI in California on Friday regarding sending my baby in for repairs. The very nice chap who answered (Jason) said that they were expecting a shipment on Friday (May 30th) and they would start to issue RMAs on Monday (2 June).

RMA's? Wassat?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Fred_C_Dobbs said:

RMA's? Wassat?
An RMA is return merchandise authorisation. Dji need to give you an RMA number thats logged on their system before you can send it back to them.

Sorry to hear about hour crash. I crashed my P2V+ 2 days after I received it. Phantom and camera are fine but the gimbal is over heating, erratic and makes a strange clicking sound. I have since purchased a replacement and will wait for replacement parts to become available.

Doug-

I'm still learning to fly. First time ever owning any RC device. I changed to props because earlier in the day I was landing and the copter tipped over and chipped a blade in the grass. The opposite blade had a nick in it so I replaced it as well

I got the props as a gift from my father. He's learning with me. We had no idea about balancing the props. Throughout this learning process I have damaged some props but they were DJI props and I would replace one at a time without issue.

I will try to call DJI California tomorrow morning. I'm just very disappointed because I've been very careful. Expensive lesson learned about after market stuff.

Btnhoz said:
Even if it's one DJI prop. If I damage 1 prop I change all four?
I just crashed mine, about the 6th time I fly, Luckily after first attempt when it got just a few inches off the ground then fell back and rolled where props hit the ground ai installed prop guards. Yesterday for some unknown reason it lifted to about 25 feet where I usually let it hover and stabilize it was very erratic and I couldn't stabilize it in the narrow space between the house , neighbors and phone wires I took it up to 57 or so feet where I had more room to stabilize it, instead it took off toward the place I had flown it the day before and out of sight behind the house. Not sure what I did then but I had seen the s1 switch wasn't in the upper position and I moved it there just before it disappeared so I don't know what affect that had on the flight. I went around the house to search for it and could here it but couldn't see it and of course I was looking on the ground as my thoughts were that I tried to bring it down after it disappeared, not sure that's what I did. A short time later my grand children came over and located it, 74 feet up in a pine tree. At that point I tried to fly it out but didn't hear any increase in sound or motor speed so I shut it down.took me the rest of the day to get it down with the help of a 40 foot ladder, backhoe and long aluminum pole with fabricated hooks on the end. Damage, two rear props with small chip off one end of each. I tested it without props, starts up, revs up, and the camera is working and can be controlled from tablet.
img]

No Btn, I wasn't suggesting you change all 4, but I do think I would stick with 4 from the same manufacturer.

From what I"ve read, you don't need to balance the DJI props.

I'm just learning too. I broke a prop on my first day, and just put on DJI prop on in its place. Haven't had too many mishaps since then.

Sorry to hear that, I just added a long quote about how I crashed mine, my question to you is, what did you do after you lost sight so it ended on the ground?
Did you power off or just try to land it?

PCB,
This was immediately after liftoff. I tried correcting but lost visual instantly. It instantly veered right over the house. I went full right stick to the left with no response. It hit a tree in the front of the house and fell to the driveway. The driveway did the damage fell around 30-40 feet. It had to hit lading gear first. Both are really bent but the camera was laying 3 feet away and the arm that holds it was broken. The rest of the copter looks fine. Not sure of any internal damage since I don't have any DJI props left.... The camera platform that attaches to the copter looks fine... I'm going to just ship the entire copter back to DJI so they can see if I cracked a circuit board or something.

Btnhoz said:
PCB,
This was immediately after liftoff. I tried correcting but lost visual instantly. It instantly veered right over the house. I went full right stick to the left with no response. It hit a tree in the front of the house and fell to the driveway. The driveway did the damage fell around 30-40 feet. It had to hit lading gear first. Both are really bent but the camera was laying 3 feet away and the arm that holds it was broken. The rest of the copter looks fine. Not sure of any internal damage since I don't have any DJI props left.... The camera platform that attaches to the copter looks fine... I'm going to just ship the entire copter back to DJI so they can see if I cracked a circuit board or something.
Prop guards saved mine, held it up in the tree and made a place to grab to take it down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20