I have OSD, but no video.

Reaction score
Just hooked everything up (list of components below) and I can clearly see the OSD on my Black Pearl, but there is no video from the GoPro. I've double, even triple checked all connections to ensure tight fittings. I've tried NTSC and Pal on the GoPro. No video feed whatsoever.

Any ideas?

FPV Components:

ImmersionRC 600mw 7ch transmitter (stock antenna)
Black Pearl 7ch monitor receiver (stock antennas)
Plug 'n' Play cable from dpcav.com: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... Shark.html
iOSD Mini

Other:

Phantom 2 v2.0
H3-3D: "upgraded" to the GoPro bus
GoPro Hero 3 Black

The only thing I can think of is the GoPro bus I got from eBay isn't supporting video. But I've only read about issues with this mod and the Hero 4.

So I replaced the GoPro bus mod with the original USB ribbon cable that came with my H3-3D and now I have video. Glad it was a relatively easy fix, but I still want that GoPro bus plug as I dislike the ribbon cable (as most others do, too).

I tried re-installing the GoPro bus upgrade, thinking maybe something was loose the first time and that's why I wasn't getting video. Still no video through the "upgraded" bus connector, so I'm sticking with the stupid USB ribbon cable for now.

dptcalvin said:
I tried re-installing the GoPro bus upgrade, thinking maybe something was loose the first time and that's why I wasn't getting video. Still no video through the "upgraded" bus connector, so I'm sticking with the stupid USB ribbon cable for now.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... AQ&lang=en

Go back to 30 pin and connect this to usb out gopro then yellow black to video on tx immersion

That wouldn't explain why I have everything working when I am using the stock USB ribbon cable on the H3-3D. I also have a plug and play cable. All the plugs have very specific fittings. That is, it's impossible for me to plug something into the wrong connector.

Ugh, just ranting now. So my Black Pearl 7ch came in today. Battery doesn't charge.

dptcalvin said:
Ugh, just ranting now. So my Black Pearl 7ch came in today. Battery doesn't charge.

You do know that there are two dc connectors on the left side of the monitor and the top is dc out.

It does not charge via the DC In port.

dptcalvin said:
It does not charge via the DC In port.

In other words the red power light doesn't turn on indicating that it is charging. Is that correct? Do you have a multimeter?

The red indicator light did turn on, but it was not charging. After hours of being plugged in, I couldn't get the **** thing to turn on when unplugged.

I have a new one now and it works as it should. I believe the first one I received was a defective customer return. The box came opened (no shrink wrap), and the battery was pre-installed. The new one I got today was shrink wrapped and the battery was packaged separately at the bottom of the box.

Everything is working now. :D

But it's raining. :(

I think the problem with no video is the Hero Bus connector. When I ordered my gimbal, I ordered the Hero Bus connector off eBay at the same time, then modified the gimbal before even checking it worked, but thankfully it did.

At first I flew "line-of-sight" and everything worked was great, 15-odd minutes flight and full video. I then got a video transmitter, iOSD and screen for Christmas, and noticed that turning on the GoPro before the Phantom caused iOSD but no video, as I discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31865

Anyway, I crashed my Phantom and had to buy a new gimbal. This time I checked the gimbal worked before changing the USB cable. I found turning on the GoPro first then the Phantom allowed the video to be displayed.

In summary, I would conclude that the Hero Bus connector is the problem. You need to turn the Phantom first, then the GoPro.

f1nutter said:
I think the problem with no video is the Hero Bus connector. When I ordered my gimbal, I ordered the Hero Bus connector off eBay at the same time, then modified the gimbal before even checking it worked, but thankfully it did.

At first I flew "line-of-sight" and everything worked was great, 15-odd minutes flight and full video. I then got a video transmitter, iOSD and screen for Christmas, and noticed that turning on the GoPro before the Phantom caused iOSD but no video, as I discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31865

Anyway, I crashed my Phantom and had to buy a new gimbal. This time I checked the gimbal worked before changing the USB cable. I found turning on the GoPro first then the Phantom allowed the video to be displayed.

In summary, I would conclude that the Hero Bus connector is the problem. You need to turn the Phantom first, then the GoPro.

It wasn't the hero bus that was at fault but the connector on the camera. Go Pro may end up with law suit over this problem because the battery backpacks are over heating and when the first one goes up in flames it'll be any body guess how much it will cost them.

Interesting. So you're telling me I need a new GoPro if I want to use the 30 pin connector with FPV?

I have been wanting to ugrade to the 3+...maybe this is my opportunity. But ugh, more $$$.

dptcalvin said:
Interesting. So you're telling me I need a new GoPro if I want to use the 30 pin connector with FPV?

I have been wanting to ugrade to the 3+...maybe this is my opportunity. But ugh, more $$$.

That isn't what I said or meant. Go Pro screwed up the connector on hero 4 Black and are not likely to change it or admit it. But if those battery backpacks go up in flames then they'll have to face the music.

Nevermind, I just realized you were responding to someone else. Not me.

dptcalvin said:
Nevermind, I just realized you were responding to someone else. Not me.

No I was answering you but what I didn't is that you have hero 3+ and I assumed you had the hero 4 black. I assumed that because you trying to use the 30 pin connector.

The hero 4 black cannot use the connector due to the fact the Go Pro screwed it up. Maybe DJI made matter worst and changed the ribbon cable in the h3-3d gimbal compared to the way it setup in the h3-2d gimbal so they could get hero 4 to work with the external cable.

I know the Hero 4 does not work with FPV using the 30 pin connector.

So I'm still thinking my issue is with a bad 30 pin connector or the ribbon cable portion of it. New one comes in later this week, I think. Hopefully the new one solves the issue for me.

Got the new 30 pin connector today, but still no video coming from the GoPro. I get OSD from the iOSD Mini and both work when using the USB ribbon connector. I have doubts that I got two bad 30 pin connectors. I'm guessing it has something to do with my GoPro, so I'm going to try and find a Hero 3/3+ that I can borrow to see if I can pin this down.

I got a really cheap 30 pin connector from a Chinese company called Banggood and fitted it to the zenmuse gimbal, it worked fine with my Gopro hero 4 black as long as you started up correctly, as I sit here typing I can't remember just what that was, I think I had to turn on the Phantom first and then the Gopro? So the 30 pin connector does work with the Gopro 4. Unfortunately I had a little mishap with the phantom recently and had to remove the gimbal for er! shall we call it maintenance? when I put it all back together there was no video, no matter what start up sequence I used. If I use the ribbon cable then the video output is fine, if I plug the lcd bacscreen in to the Gopro it works fine; so I know there is still a video output from the 30 pin connector on the camera; so I can only surmise the cheap 30 pin connector I bought from Banggood has gone down. I'm going to have a look on web for a better quality version and give it another go but thought I'd post this to let others know that I had video from my Gopro hero 4 black working OK through the 30 pin connector (for a while).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31