I have no idea what I'm doing!

Reaction score
Please help an aging old baby boomer. Got a Phantom 1 with mount:
First: I use a Mac after much trouble & calling the help line (on hold for 58 minutes) I find out it is not supported by Mac.
Second: Dig out old Windows laptop & install what I think is correct software on it
Third: How do I get the software into the Phantom?
Fourth: Is there an easy to read step by step process to get this $500 paperweight off the ground?
Fifth: Is there anywhere to explain all the lingo & abbreviations used?

I might also suggest downloading the manuals and reading them. They are all available on the DJI web site. So grab your reading glasses and have at it.

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom/download

No sense in being in a rush to fly something you have no idea what you are doing, endangering yourself, others and your investment.

You might tell us where you are, so if one of the members here are nearby, they might offer to meet with you and help you out.

DaveTown said:
You might tell us where you are, so if one of the members here are nearby, they might offer to meet with you and help you out.

I'm in south central Pennsylvania, near Gettysburg.

@Den Den

If the Phantom is new, there should be no need to update the firmware.

I'd recommend you just go and fly it.

The only thing you need to do is charge the battery and then do the compass calibration, (neither of which need the Phantom to be connected to the computer).

If you are concerned that its going to fly away out of control etc, just tie it to a long piece of string. I"ve done this when testing and it works fine (as long as you tie the other end to something heavy ;-)

Read over the manuals after downloading them from dji. Make sure you understand what the lights mean. There are several YouTube videos out there that are great at explaining what's going on with this thing. If you understand the lights, know what to do before launch, aren't flying in crazy wind and don't try to fly her higher or further away than you should, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're lucky! There's nothing like the early days of learning this exciting and wonderful hobby. Read, read and watch DJI and YouTube videos till ya got it. You're already ahead of the curve by actually Asking for help!
Next up...flying over a Gettysburg re-enactment war display. Just don't let a cannonball knock you out of the sky. b :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj