I hate my Phantom 3 Pro

Reaction score
I was excited when the P3 was announced and I preordered one right away. I am a long range junkie so I was excited about the prospect of what the P3 is capable of. I modded my controller ordered a flytrex and upgraded my phone to an LG G4. The Pilot app is terrible it overheats my phone in about 5 min and starts lagging out my fpv to the point where its dangerous to fly it cause there is about a 10 to 15 second dely in picture. This app has been out for what a year? I feel bad for inspire 1 owners having to deal with this for so long. As far as I am concerned this drone is a piece of junk and I wish I had the 2 or 3 grand I have into it back.

I love it when people people talk about all their issue, yet there are just as many that DONT have issues. The only real variable in all those cases is the individuals hardware, NOT the Phantom! And whos fault is it that YOUR hardware isn't working like mine is?? Yours.. Not the Phantom. See the trend developing?

I'm sorry to read that - so many of us really love our P3's. If you are interested in a solution my hope is that some LG folks chime in. I'm an iPad guy so I can't do much there. The range for the P3s is pretty spectacular so hopefully you will be able to get some resolution from some folks here. Hopefully some flytrex folks will chime in as well. Not familiar there. The best help I can offer is to let some of the folks on here help you. Your headline caught my attention so hang in there!

Sent from my PT beating heart

I love it when people people talk about all their issue, yet there are just as many that DONT have issues. The only real variable in all those cases is the individuals hardware, NOT the Phantom! And whos fault is it that YOUR hardware isn't working like mine is?? Yours.. Not the Phantom. See the trend developing?

A newbe with all the answers.

I flew mine quite a bit using an LG G3 & 1.1.9 with no problems. I'm not trying to fly long distances & not sure what firmware you have installed, but there are some recommended remedies for lag & over-taxed CPU issues. I do believe that eventually either firmware, software updates or other solutions will fix the majority of the problems folks are having. I can understand getting into the challenge exceeding the P3's published range, but the fact remains that It's not sold or advertised to fly anywhere near the distances some folks are achieving with RC or antenna mods.

Dude, hang in there. There are many third party developers out there that will have a better app. Agreed the pilot app has bugs but others will be better suited for our needs. My iPad Air 2 works more than fine. The p3 is a marvel and the potential is there if we give it some time.

That logic would work if this was an isolated case but its not. This is a software issue bro plain and simple. It has nothing to do with me. Unless everyone that's having problems are idiots because we're not you Steve. The bottom line is the app overheats my phone prematurely causing my FPV lagout. I know what the issue is and there's not a thing I can do about it. I've wasted enough money on the p3. Thanks for your imput though.

I didnt say anyone is an idiot. Simpy that its a hardware issue that isnt the Phantom. If it were software it would happen to every one of us because we ALL have the same software. The ONLY variable between your rig and mine, and everyone elses is the tablet of choice. So target your concerns at THAT.

Reactions: CFoxtrot
I have 4 P3 and each controller has a tablet - ipad mini 3 works like a charm, Nvidia shield no problem
Get yourself a descent tablet if you are serious about flying the p3.

You might be right with that iPhone but I think it's better
Correction. Your drone isn't a piece of junk, your smartphone is. Get yourself an iPhone 6 and you'll be singing a different tune.
I wouldn't say my phones a piece of junk you don't have issues with overheating at all with your iPhone 6

Phantom P3P.....$1259.00
iPhone 6.............$ 800.00

So to use the P3P properly you need about $2060.00
No problem. You gotta pay to play they say.

I'm not knocking anyone or anything but upper tier video drones is not a "cheap" hobby.
You want to play with the big dogs, you can't cry over a little spilled milk (or a few grand lost).

For those not willing or able to go all the way or top tier, there's no shame in enjoying at the level you're able to afford or comfortable with.

This is NOT directed at UnknownCaller.

Last edited:
The ONLY variable between your rig and mine, and everyone elses is the tablet of choice.

If anyone thinks that all the Phantom 3's that have come off the assembly line have exactly the same hardware, they are sadly mistaken.
As a manufacturing engineer for many years, I can tell you that several different revisions of hardware have made it into production. These include everything from integrated circuits to memory chips, GPS chips to ESC components. A manufacturer must have second and third sources for components because not all components are available at all times. Component manufacturers are constantly updating their products, sometimes they tell you about it, other times not.
Even a simple component revision, that is not supposed to effect form fit or function, may not play well with existing hardware/software.

That is more likely that reason some of us have issues using DJi supported devices, and others do not. Although unknowncaller's LG device is non-supported, it is still plenty capable of running the app.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Using a phone is REALLY not the best solution anyway! Far too small of a screen, and its bound to be full of worthless apps that are sucking up resources. Any new tablet of quality would do a far better job that any phone. Ive never had an overheating issue on ANY device I used though.

If anyone thinks that all the Phantom 3's that have come off the assembly line have exactly the same hardware, they are sadly mistaken.
As a manufacturing engineer for many years, I can tell you that several different revisions of hardware have made it into production. These include everything from integrated circuits to memory chips, GPS chips to ESC components. A manufacturer must have second and third sources for components because not all components are available at all times. Component manufacturers are constantly updating their products, sometimes they tell you about it, other times not.
Even a simple component revision, that is not supposed to effect form fit or function, may not play well with existing hardware/software.

That is more likely that reason some of us have issues using DJi supported devices, and others do not. Although unknowncaller's LG device is non-supported, it is still plenty capable of running the app.

The problems being presented here have nothing to do with the Phantom, so even though your thoughts are true, they arent valid.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik