I had a holy crash! Help pls

Reaction score
Hello guys!! I was wondering if you could help me figure out what happened. I was flying , battery was around 20%, and I suddenly had a [holy] crash... I was lucky I was at a very low altitude... Flying in GPS mode. Did not get any damage from the crash.

Video here: http://youtu.be/TPXSSTTU_1U

When it went down it tried to lift after touching the grass but couldn't and then ended up sideways.

I have no idea why this happened (perhaps it was an angry ghost?) and was hoping you guys could give me your opinion. :mrgreen:

Thanks!!!

BTW if you want to check out the full video (edited) you can do so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xobc2btQq8 it's a nice town worth checking out :)

When you say around 20% how much is 'around'?

20% is too low to be still flying IMO. In my experience it goes from 1st battery warning to 2nd level very quickly. I always am well on my way to landing well before 1st level. Usually I start to get her down at 45%-50%.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:

20% is too low to be still flying IMO. In my experience it goes from 1st battery warning to 2nd level very quickly. I always am well on my way to landing well before 1st level. Usually I start to get her down at 45%-50%.

I agree and disagree with you. %20 might be enough if your height is just 10 mt. however if your height is 100 mt you may need more juice.

unless there is a problem with your battery indicator

Thanks for your replies guys!! I was about to land the Phantom... 20% is usually more than enough for that. As a matter of fact voltage will be "safe" until it reaches 1%. After 0% it will still fly for about one more minute but it can go down any second as voltage will go below 10v.

So, what happened was that I was going to land, and it suddenly just went down. The battery is 1 week old and shouldn't have any problems and it didn't seem like an electric problem.

It kinda looked like one of those things that happen when you have a quick descent (which was supposely fixed with a firmaware update) ... except in my case I don't think I was doing a quick descent. :roll:

IrishSights said:

20% is too low for who? Its all relative.........20% and the P2 is still a a few hundred feet away at a 100 ft high then sure it might be too low. However if your 20% and its 30ft away 10ft high 20% is fine

FASTFJR said:
IrishSights said:

20% is too low for who? Its all relative.........20% and the P2 is still a a few hundred feet away at a 100 ft high then sure it might be too low. However if your 20% and its 30ft away 10ft high 20% is fine
My answer was IMO if you noticed. If you dont want to crash due to low battery I was suggesting that a good flight policy would be to not fly below at least 30%, I rarely go below 45%. No big deal to do that. If you dont think my suggestion is valid then thats fine! This is only my policy and I have never had a low battery forced landing. It matters not what height I am at, that is my policy and it has stood in good stead in my experience. This does to me look like a low battery landing, I could be wrong. I'm guaging the wind was reasonable as the left leg is visible. if it landed at a place of its choice it may have been uneven ground causing it to tip. This just my angle on it. if you disagree thats fine with me!

Again as part of my preflight assessment I always make sure that the surrounding area (3-4m at least) of my takeoff position is also suitable for a landing, just in case of RTH or failsafe as the GPS homepoint registered at takeoff is rarely the exact position of a RTH landing. For me the middle of graveyard would not fulful that requirement. If no one wants to benefit from my experience, thats fine :)

imprimatur said:
Hello guys!! I was wondering if you could help me figure out what happened. I was flying , battery was around 20%, and I suddenly had a [holy] crash... I was lucky I was at a very low altitude... Flying in GPS mode. Did not get any damage from the crash.

Video here: http://youtu.be/TPXSSTTU_1U

When it went down it tried to lift after touching the grass but couldn't and then ended up sideways.

I have no idea why this happened (perhaps it was an angry ghost?) and was hoping you guys could give me your opinion. :mrgreen:

Thanks!!!

BTW if you want to check out the full video (edited) you can do so here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xobc2btQq8 it's a nice town worth checking out :)

looks more like VRS you are descending fast straight down adn it dont sound like power loss.
i have same loss of flight almost exact video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrnH-No ... 2Uq_Ck1fxA

IrishSights said:
My answer was IMO if you noticed. If you dont want to crash due to low battery I was suggesting that a good flight policy would be to not fly below at least 30%, I rarely go below 45%. No big deal to do that. If you dont think my suggestion is valid then thats fine! This is only my policy and I have never had a low battery forced landing. It matters not what height I am at, that is my policy and it has stood in good stead in my experience. This does to me look like a low battery landing, I could be wrong. I'm guaging the wind was reasonable as the left leg is visible. if it landed at a place of its choice it may have been uneven ground causing it to tip. This just my angle on it. if you disagree thats fine with me!

Again as part of my preflight assessment I always make sure that the surrounding area (3-4m at least) of my takeoff position is also suitable for a landing, just in case of RTH or failsafe as the GPS homepoint registered at takeoff is rarely the exact position of a RTH landing. For me the middle of graveyard would not fulful that requirement. If no one wants to benefit from my experience, thats fine :)

Sometimes you think you can help based on your experience, you make a nice long post, well presented, with exemples, analyse, and bring some solutions to the problem, just to realise that people just don't even read it, carrying on with erroneous guesses or hijacking the thread with their own stories.(just what I'm doing now lol! ) Frustrating. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4