I guess I'm a WIMP

Reaction score
I finally took my Phantom out in the open to do some nice long distance flights (as I thought) and to check my newly installed FPV setup.
I've been at this place before and I flew the Phantom to the same POI as I did before.
Last time I flew there (without IOSD) I estimated the farthest distance at around 350 mtr or 1000 feet.
Well, now being able to see thru IOSD what the actual distance was, I'm quite surprised to see that it's been only 150mtr out and 60mtr up......:)
I totally overestimated the distance I flew last time and at the same time I'm wondering how folks fly 5+ times that distance without FPV in some cases.
It was already hard for me to locate front and back of the craft, at 150mtr out....I used IOSD to navigate.

Am I a wimp, is there a trick which is unknown to me, is flying beyond 150mtr distance becoming more and more a guessing game, is my eye sight so bad...... What is it?

Anyone had the same experience, being surprised once he/she has seen the actual distance for the first time on the screen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Without FPV, they don't. Like you, they just think they did. With FPV, there are people going 4 miles out with the Phantom. People fly different styles for different interests and I think you'll find many of the distance FPV flyers have a lot of experience under their belts. Me, I am just getting accustomed to trusting the FPV vs. constantly looking for LOS visual verification. I am confident I'll get there but it will be a slow gradual process.

My biggest challenge with the FPV is judging distance from the GoPro fisheye. I can't tell if I am 30ft away from an object or 5ft away. Once I get better at that, I will be much more confident in covering more ground with FPV.

mmm... Ian what is the range on the stock phantom 2 with the zenmuse gimbal is it 1km? Just trying to figure out what is possible with it, what's the longest round trip you've done and in what time?

The Phantom doesn't have to be all that far away before it becomes really difficult for me to eyeball its orientation. That's when I become a big fan of the "home lock" control mode that makes orientation irrelevant.

Bigbells said:
The Phantom doesn't have to be all that far away before it becomes really difficult for me to eyeball its orientation. That's when I become a big fan of the "home lock" control mode that makes orientation irrelevant.

I need to use home lock more. Even better though, I think that once you're past a certain distance it makes sense to commit to the FPV and not try to figure out orientation by direct visual.

Almmohd said:
mmm... Ian what is the range on the stock phantom 2 with the zenmuse gimbal is it 1km? Just trying to figure out what is possible with it, what's the longest round trip you've done and in what time?

I've only had it out to 500m. LA is probably not the best environment for covering large distances but I'm also still getting used to the idea of letting the thing out of my sight! Anyway, people have had the Phantom out to 4km and more. I don't know if they had a gimbal but they obviously had an FPV.

ianwood said:
Bigbells said:

I need to use home lock more. Even better though, I think that once you're past a certain distance it makes sense to commit to the FPV and not try to figure out orientation by direct visual.

Almmohd said:

I've only had it out to 500m. LA is probably not the best environment for covering large distances but I'm also still getting used to the idea of letting the thing out of my sight! Anyway, people have had the Phantom out to 4km and more. I don't know if they had a gimbal but they obviously had an FPV.

I find I fly better if I stop trying to find the quad visually and just concentrate on FPV. Im new to it all, here is my first video from my first flight http://youtu.be/idp7157kzU0 but as long as you are above obstacles fpv seems pretty easy, the OSD is definitely needed for FPV flying, which I got.

ianwood said:
Almmohd said:

Ah, ok. My phantom is on the way but I have yet to decide on which FPV to get. I was trying to decide between the immersionrc and the avl58. After seeing this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8406 I think I will get the avl58. Any thoughts?

When I had the P2V I couldn't bring myself to take my eyes off it and just fly from the screen but I want to try again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20