I got talked into...

Reaction score
Buying a small "learner" quad and ended up with the Heli-Max 1SI as I thought the camera option would be cool even if it's just a micro. Attempted to fly indoor but don't have a lot of space and the quad when given power wants to start flying rather then hover. Attempted a couple flights outdoors but the wind was not cooperating.

Are the Micro's a good way to start? Did I pick an ok one? My goal is to get into a Phantom 2 or 2v+ but the guy at the hobby store said I should learn on the Micro's or even the Real Flight 7 Simulator first. Are the Phantoms that easy to fly with all the GPS options? Just seems the Phantom being bigger would be easier to fly?

I already have the GoPro Heroe 3+ and thought i had my mind set for the P2 but then the 2v+ was introduced and looks like that may be the way to go. I can always use the Gopro for external video.

Any thoughts and or help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure $160 flight sim is the right path....

Thanks!

The small ones are how I got interested in the first place! I bought the Heli-max 1SQ v-cam quad for $79, it's about 5 inches x 5 inches.

I did it just on a whim, thought it looked like fun, and wow, was it ever! I've gotten my fun out of it 10 times over.

It pretty much has no features, it's doesn't hover automatically or anything. I figured if I crash it, I'm not out much money. It's landed in trees, roofs, etc, so I'm glad I started simple.

The micro is a lot harder to fly than things like the Phantom. It won't automatically hover if you let off the controls, it won't come back to you, and the hardest thing for me was flying it when it is not oriented going away from you. Like having to think in reverse on control stick movements. I put a hand towel in the middle of the living room and practiced landing on that small spot over and over again.

The more advanced ones have all kinds of features that make up for that. Maybe others will disagree, but if you can master a micro where flying is entirely manual, a Phantom will be a piece of cake to fly.

PS - don't try to land your micro on your significant other while she's sleeping. I learned that the hard way.

Hello,
First ( you should learn on a smaller, less expensive, craft )
Here is why:
ORIENTATION ( this is the direction the craft is from you ( you being controller )
Here is what I mean:
With your quad in front of you ( facing away from you )
Your controls will be CORRECT ( left is left, right is right, forward is forward, and back is back )
Now
With your quad on front of you FACING YOU, your controls will be COMPLETELY REVERSED ( except throttle )
In other words at this orientation, left is right ( if you turn stick left, quad will turn TO YOUR right ) , right is left, forward is backwards ( by this I mean when you push stick forward, quad will move tword you ( instead of away from you )) and finally back will be forward!
This is what you must learn ( orientation ) this can be your friend, or YOUR WORST ENEMY!

THE THROTTLE ISSUE:
On smaller quads ( with no GPS capabilities ) it is up to you to CONSTANTLY, move throttle stick to maintain altitude, as it WILL NOT JUST STAY HERE OR THERE, you will get better with time, DO NOT GIVE UP!
I believe in you!
The phantom DOES HAVE GPS CAPABILITIES, so you DO NOT have to CONSTANTLY move throttle stick ( ONLY WHEN IN GPS MODE ) RIGHT toggle switch UP, when you fly NON-GPS MODE ( you will have to constantly maintain height by moving throttle sticks up and down, but NOT NEARLY AS MUCH, as smaller quads.

So to conclude:
He is correct, IF you learn to fly your mini, you will be a phantom MASTER, trust me!
I learned on a ( WL-Toys V222 mini quad with camera ) and I STILL FLY IT ( indoors ) I love it, and it is harder to fly than phantom!
Keep in mind, when it's : windy, rainy, snowing, tornadoing, hurricaning, monsooning, ect. ) you will be glad you have that little quad, as flying gets into your blood, it is like a weird addiction, with awesome adrenalin highs, and no side effects, best part it is perfectly LEGAL! Lol.

Happy flying!

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks guys!

I was pretty frustrated with the Micro until I started slowly paying attention on what the quad wanted to do right from take off left/right etc and I played with the trim to help with a stable take off. I at least now can control it LOL.

Your right, it is addictive and can see the fun to be had! Thanks for the advice of not landing on my wife :shock:

Either of you have an opinion on:

The phantom 2 w/ginbal of course (I already have the Gopro 3+) vs the the V2+ ?? I'm not much of a DIY'er and realty like the ready out of the box items however my main area of interest is Ariel video and don't want to be disappointed with the quality...

Thanks guys!

Tim

No problem Tim, I think you would be happy either was, as both have their positives and negatives!
P2V+ has good quality camera, but unable to accept. ( Lens filters ( yet ))
Where as your gimbal requires a little DIY, and requires additional camera, but most are plug and play now, but people love both,
You might want filters though if you are serious about photography, but I'm sure either would make you SUPER HAPPY !

Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

I once knocked a big cockroach onto my partners bed [accidently]. It went straight up her short nightie. I have never before seen anyone get out of bed that quick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20