I don't own a 4K Tv

I was curious about why would i shoot in 4K if i don't own a 4K TV. Is it just all around a better quality thing.
Do you own a laptop... or a cell phone-- or are you going to put it on a site like YouTube? Honestly, when I saw the raw footage off my P4, I was (and continue to be) stunned at the quality. Even in "boring" farmland that I fly in. My friends say the same thing.

Now that I have FPV goggles that I like, I never tire of seeing the beauty of the landscape, and I love seeing new things, even if they are 'boring' to other people.

I was curious about why would i shoot in 4K if i don't own a 4K TV. Is it just all around a better quality thing.

Neither do I but they still look great on my 1080P plasma screen when saved as 4k or UHD and burnt to Blu-Ray and I'll be buying a 4k/UHD tele within the next fortnight. :)

In the meantime, I play them off my USB3 64Gb memory stick back to my computer screen.

Hi Rob.
There is another "use" which could lead us to chiose 4k, and this is the lack of variable focal lenght that all the small cameras on board small drones have. If you plan to vision/save/upload your movies at 1080 and you shoot at 4k, then you have almost the equivalent of a 2x tele zoom available during all your footage. Of course, you will need to edit the footage with a somewhat powerful computer and not all free softwares will be able to perform that task, but I think that also this point is a real advantage when the time to edit comes.
Another collateral advantage could be the possibility to get rid (by cutting the frames without loosing definition) of not leveled horizons due to gimball adjustment or wind.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Rob in Sydney.
Hi Rob.
There is another "use" which could lead us to chiose 4k, and this is the lack of variable focal lenght that all the small cameras on board small drones have. If you plan to vision/save/upload your movies at 1080 and you shoot at 4k, then you have almost the equivalent of a 2x tele zoom available during all your footage. Of course, you will need to edit the footage with a somewhat powerful computer and not all free softwares will be able to perform that task, but I think that also this point is a real advantage when the time to edit comes.
Another collateral advantage could be the possibility to get rid (by cutting the frames without loosing definition) of not leveled horizons due to gimball adjustment or wind.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thank you everyone for all the info i get it now.

Record in 4k even if you render in 1080p. The end result is better.
Even more to the point, you'll have all your footage in higher res when you DO get newer TV, or share with family/friends with better gear. You'll be sorry a year or two from now when you get something better, view some of your P4 material on it, and realize if only...

Storage is cheap. No amount of money can get that resolution back if you don't capture it in the first place.

Honestly, when I saw the raw footage off my P4, I was (and continue to be) stunned at the quality. Even in "boring" farmland that I fly in. My friends say the same thing.
Same here, and I'm stunned that so many people want to rush out, sell their P4 and get a P4P because of the better camera quality. Sure it will record at 60 fps in 4K, but then something else will come out marginally better ......

Javier Ruiz O explained the exact reason that I shoot in 4K but render out in 1080P. Also, there is always the possibly of an slanted horizon line. It's easier to correct during the editing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20