I checked the manual, no info on "Auto Land" problem

Reaction score
I have used auto land before, but at only less than 9 feet & with-in 20 feet of my takeoff point.

This time, I was at about 13 feet & about 35-40 feet from me.

I hit auto land, and I was surprised that my P3 started to climb upwards. ( it was possibly heading towards a 17,000 volt power line so I wanted to stop any more altitude going on)

I didn't panic, I first tried to ****** the stick to bring it down & I didn't get a reaction, so I tried up stick, still no reaction. Then I noticed it sliding to my right, I then tried to bank it back with the right stick to get it back on course.

That didn't go very well, but I had begun to have control back as it was moving to my commands for a few seconds.

I was lucky, it did a inverted flip at about 2-3 feet off of the ground, then I did the "CSC" to shut down the motors.

Total damage, one prop got the trailing edge broken, one prop with some mung on it.

I will replace all four props! Funny thing is, when it was upside-down it was protected by the prop domes & never impacted the top of the drone.

Good to fly after a full preflight inspection & of course IMU/Compass recalibration.

So, I know what my RTH altitude would be, but there isn't any information in the manual that tells you what the heck happens if you use it above 3 meters. I know one thing, I'll never use it again!

So what did I do wrong?

I have video of the crash, but have not mastered using a video editor to shave it down to a limit that people will yawn at!

P.S.

I never thought the P3 was capable of doing a invert.......

Kurt

I would love to see the video, try using window movie maker ita very easy to use I had zero know how with editing and I used that for my first one. Unless your using apple then idk what a simple basic editor is for them. As for your issue, did you try hitting the cancel landing button on the app? Glad all that was damaged was a set of cheap props :) that was very fortunate.

I would love to see the video, try using window movie maker ita very easy to use I had zero know how with editing and I used that for my first one. Unless your using apple then idk what a simple basic editor is for them. As for your issue, did you try hitting the cancel landing button on the app? Glad all that was damaged was a set of cheap props :) that was very fortunate.

That was the only button I didn't press & which I should have done it.

I'll try to do a video editing & send it up here. From what I could see of it, it went up and was close to the power lines, then it started to come down. Next thing you see is it flipping over & the camera was trying to correct for the angle. Then me dragging it of & setting it upright.

I have flown RC since 1996 airplanes/helicopters/Trucks & Buggies 4X4 Nitro/gas-powered/Nitro powered/electric. Quad-Copters are very new to me, but, I do know they do not glide in for a landing when they have lost power, a helicopter can do that, a plane can do the same, but a quad-copter can not do that at all! It glides like a brick.

Are you sure you pressed Auto Land, and not RTH??

my thinking exactly.

hit RTH and it started to go to set rth altitude...

having started with P2 and P1 I have never used auto landing myself.
so easy and actually fun to land it where I want, how I want, etc
its part of the game for me...

good luck and have fun flying!

iflyhelis, your flight log should show what happened. You can view it if you upload it here. If you'd like us to review it, please post a link back here after you upload it.

Are you sure you pressed Auto Land, and not RTH??
RTH is in the middle upper section of the transmitter & Auto Land is bottom left. I also looked at the button I was pushing on & it wasn't Auto Takeoff.

I'll never use those features again.

Kurt

Edit: Auto Land is on the Cellphone, my mistake, but I would have heard a voice announcement if I had hit RTH/Auto Take-Off/No announcement at all? Just total loss of control.

Kurt

Last edited:
iflyhelis, your flight log should show what happened. You can view it if you upload it here. If you'd like us to review it, please post a link back here after you upload it.
I'll have to look at it & see what it says, I'll send it up later today. Thanks

Here is a youtube address: Go to the last 2 minutes to see the crash, I could not edit it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I couldn't get into the APP & transfer the info with my iPhone 7 I'll have to screw with it later on & see why that happened.

Kurt

msinger,

The video from your link as to how I do a conversion for a IOS phone via "iTunes" failed for me, I can not get into the "APP" section at all. I tried via my PC & also my iPhone 7, no go. So, what am I doing wrong?

Kurt

Make sure your device is selected at the top, left in iTunes. The video glosses right over that important detail.

iTunes-Select-Device.jpg

Make sure your device is selected at the top, left in iTunes. The video glosses right over that important detail.

View attachment 71221

Thanks! I found the "device" icon, & I was able to see the flight records listed in a folder, I am now down-loading it to my laptop & hopefully I will be able to upload a link of this info.

I Thank-You again, you really are so help-full!

P.S.

I bought some "Genuine P3 Propellers" that turn out to be made for the P2 with the metal inserts, from Amazon. I have been told to not use them, because they either Jam,or fly off. Should I send them back? The package even has a "DJI Logo on it" I got many replies stating, don't use them. Should I send them back to Amazon?

Kurt

Right -- don't use them on your P3. Send them back.

Here is what I hope to be the fkt log recrIf not,,,,ds....

View attachment 71221

Here is the link to the log viewer

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

It looks like I did hit RTH first, then auto land, that is when it flipped upside down.

P.S.

I won't be using those props either as they are not genuine DJI.

Where in your log do you see the following occurring?

I hit auto land, and I was surprised that my P3 started to climb upwards. ( it was possibly heading towards a 17,000 volt power line so I wanted to stop any more altitude going on)

Where in your log do you see the following occurring?

Around the 12 minute mark, or right near the end of the log. Unless it says that after I hit RTH. All I know is it flipped & it shows a negative altitude.

Your log does not show your Phantom going home until the 12m 29.5s mark. At that time, it was 83 feet from the home point. That explains why your Phantom climbed upward instead of immediately returning back to the home point.

Reactions: iflyhelis
Your log does not show your Phantom going home until the 12m 29.5s mark. At that time, it was 83 feet from the home point. That explains why your Phantom climbed upward instead of immediately returning back to the home point.

That is when I lost control, & I tried moving the left stick up & down & I did not regain control. It started to slide to the right, I was trying to make it come back to the left. Then it flipped over.

So, I do know that I must have hit RTH & not auto-Land what a screw-up that was. I can't understand that by using the left stick up plus down didn't halt the climbing altitude, right away?

I appreciate that you looked at the log & got a feeling as to what transpired here like I did "I screwed up". You are such a good person here to try & help us out.

I think that I need to start buying parts & stuff from you, because, you deserve it for being such a great contributor here.

Thank-You for everything that you have helped me with & also the other users on this forum. msinger, You Rock!

Kurt

I can't understand that by using the left stick up plus down didn't halt the climbing altitude, right away?
Per the Phantom manual, your Phantom was ignoring your stick commands since it was below 65 feet. Once it reached 65 feet, it started immediately returning to the home point since you moved the throttle stick as it tried to ascend beyond that point.

RTH.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31