I cant see my RAW photos in my computer

Reaction score
Anyone know why i cant see RAW photos on my computer? #Ph3Pro
And how do you recomend to take a good photo of a house (its for a building company)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You most likely do not have the codecs. If you are win 10 then try Fotor in the store. I think this can handle raw. Otherwise you need something a bit more expensive like photo shop etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

What version of windows do you use? In 8 or 10, Windows Photos Viewer can now open DNG files. If you want to edit DNG files on the cheap, download GIMP, which is free, so you can't get any cheaper than that....

As I understand it ... RAW format is an Industrial Format and rarely encountered by domestic users.

It allows all data and resolution to remain intact, unlike JPG which each time saved loses definition.

Personally - I set to JPG and accept that I will have a limitation on its format.

Here is a very good article about it and how to utilise ...

How to view RAW images on your computer

Nigel

and rarely encountered by domestic users.

Would not say so, most of amateur photographers take pictures in RAW format.

RAW means all data are attached to the image, no process takes place where JPEG images are internally already processed.
For user without editing capabilities RAW format is not recommended, this format requires a post process before publishing.
For all user wishing to publish images directly out of camera JPEG is far good enough.
In the settings of the camera you in- or decrease values (+/-) like contrast, saturation, sharpness etc.

Would not say so, most of amateur photographers take pictures in RAW format.

RAW means all data are attached to the image, no process takes place where JPEG images are internally already processed.
For user without editing capabilities RAW format is not recommended, this format requires a post process before publishing.
For all user wishing to publish images directly out of camera JPEG is far good enough.
In the settings of the camera you in- or decrease values (+/-) like contrast, saturation, sharpness etc.

I would not class amateur serious photographers who use RAW format as the usual domestic user.

Domestic User I mean - is like me ... a snapper of holiday piccies ... odd shots with the Phantom and JPG is fine enough.

Only point to watch with JPG - which I touched on before ... opening and saving a new copy from that causes loss each time you do it. Opening and closing and not re-saving of course makes no difference and no losses. Cut and paste / copy from directory to directory is ok as well ... its the opening and resaving that does it.
I found this out way back when I ran Archive for a Yachting Group / Forum. We had odd jpg's losing quality and luckily one of the members was a graphics artist and he pointed this out.

Nigel

Domestic User I mean - is like me ... a snapper of holiday piccies ... odd shots with the Phantom and JPG is fine enough.

OK, got your point, in this case of course RAW format doesn't make any sense, might even be counterproductive if the image is not immediately available to be shared with friends.

Assume that all your cameras are set to auto mod and your workflow is called "point, shoot and enjoy"

To be honest I have no experience in re-saving JPEG pictures since all my serious pictures are shot with a DSLR in RAW format, means I can always refer to to origin RAW image or to the post processed version of it.

No worries VB ... I'm no photo guru ... my camera stays in auto shoot mode 99% of the time.

Its a Finepix S2995 - so nothing special ... and I have no idea if it can do RAW .. probably not.

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4