I can't figure out this problem.

Reaction score
I've had my P2V for just about a year now. No flyaways, one minor crash, otherwise no problems.

Except for a deteriorating ability to get distance. I've got an early Flytrex flight showing about 1200 feet. Scary because I could barely see it! Since then my horizontal distance has been slowly going down to about 400 feet or so. I quit doing upgrades to the software back when I first got Ground Station. Since then - nothing. I'm on main controller ver 3.06 and Assistant version 1.08.

Yesterday I finally did the NAZA enabling button thing and now have the IOC working. I also finally discharged my batteries down to 7% and recharged. I had 23 and 25 flights on them (according to the Assistant program).

So off I go today to test out all my new stuff. I haven't flown in months due to - well - anyway, I haven't flown in quite a while. There's virtually no wind where I went. I did the compass dance and got a register of 8 sats. Cool. I'm a bit color deficient though not color blind. These flashing lights cause me concern when I'm not sure what's going on. If my wife is along, she can verify, but that's not all that often. Nevertheless, all looked (and sounded) well. I lift off and gently float around getting the feel of my trusty old machine. I stayed perfectly motionless when I let go of the sticks. I like it. Oh, for what it's worth, I now have my distance and height restrictions set to 700 feet and 500 feet respectively.

First thing I try is moving the S1 switch to RTH to test that. Ahhh, seems to be working. When it's overhead I take back control and continue to fly around. But all of a sudden I start getting the dreaded "DEFCON" clanger which usually means the battery is headed south and I'd better get back and land. Only it wants to land RIGHT THERE. I force the stick and get it to come back and land by me. I don't think I was 100 feet away. Hell, I was barely 50!

I land, look it over for signs of - well - I don't know. Signs of something wrong. Don't see anything so I take off again. I hadn't looked at the battery indicator on my phone yet because the battery is fully charged and showing four lights. At about 50 feet here comes the DEFCON clanger again. This time I take a screen shot - at the same time I fight to get it to land BY ME.

I'm at a loss here. My second screen shot shows a 70% battery - but now it's RED. I've never seen this before, but if the Phantom thinks the battery is bad I can see why it wants to land. But what's up with this? I hooked the Phantom up to the Assistant when I got home and it shows the battery at 68% charge. It's still got 92% life left.
Cell 1 3820
Cell 2 3864
Cell 3 3939
My low battery setting is for "Go Home". I was in GPS mode for all this (except for the RTH test).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-04-09-19-32.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-04-09-19-32.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 678
  • Screenshot_2015-02-04-09-21-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-04-09-21-21.png
    361 KB · Views: 675
Do you have a second battery?
I would try battery #2, also you might want
To try to clean the com connections on the battery
& phantom. ( little circle connectors on batt, 2 pins on phantom ) It seems to be getting false readings?
Also try to reinstall your app.something is causing a conflict in your battery status?

This happened to another member, he tried battery #2 and all was good? Not sure if it was
Connectors, battery not inserted all the way, or what?
Also check your battery for any swelling, might have a bad pack?

Take care, fly safe!
J Dot

Thanks J Dot.

Yes, I do have a second battery. Unfortunately it was back at the house charging while I was out with this one. Would have liked to swap them out and see if the same thing happened.

Back at home I put both batteries in to check them out. I could not get the battery indicator on the phone to show up red again.

Nothing seems to swell beyond the the plastic framework. Not absolutely flat, but I don't think there's a problem with them. It would be nice to get a couple more batteries, but DJI is sure proud of them if you know what I mean. Haven't decided to try any of the non-DJI's yet.

I'll give the contact cleaning ideas a go. So far, all your suggestions are free ('cept for the new battery idea, which would be nice). I've never had any problems with my Android app, and I also sometimes use my iPad app (which is actually supposed to be for an iPhone but it works fine) with no problems.

Good thing I wasn't trying to show off to anyone - ha. :lol:

That guy is funny, ive watched a few of his videos, but its strange that DJI show 89% battery life and yet it gave him 25 seconds, i wonder of that holds true for all batteries/quads or certain ones ?

Fplvert said:
:D
Here's a video which might help you. I've also had this problem with one of four batteries.

Thanks Fplvert. I just watched the video. Ya know, this may (may) have something to do with my problem. I'll be really miffed if it turns out that my less than 25 flight batteries are going bad - already.

Next time I go out, I'll take both of my batteries fully charged and do the test. Meantime, I'll also clean all my contacts - batteries & the Phantom.

Of course, the forecast for around here (Carson City, NV) is wind, wind, and more wind - and maybe even some much needed moisture. All great for the area but bad for flying.

Any updates?

general01 said:
Any updates?

Not yet. It is SO windy here in Nevada today, and the forecast is for 60 mph gusts, rain, and maybe a tinch of snow. So, no, I haven't ventured out with my Phantom yet. Hell, I don't even want to go out. There's trees down, a couple local power outages, you name it. Phantom Hell! :eek:

When I get the chance to go out I'll be taking both my batteries to do the test. I'll post the results.

general01 said:
Any updates?

Yes. I was finally able to get out and fly again. This time I took both batteries, allegedly fully charged. The one battery got me off the ground for maybe two minutes. Maybe. I got up about 10-12 feet and it hovered just fine. I had 10 satellites locked in. Then it started to give me the DEFCON clanger - and I looked at my battery symbol. 85% - and RED. Phantom started landing - RIGHT NOW. So I let it, and took that battery out. I used a Sharpie to write "Bad" on it.

Broke out the other battery and inserted it. Got my 10 satellites again, took off, and proceeded to fly for 15 minutes. I got up about 100 feet or so, and out about 340 feet.

Then I started getting the DEFCON clanger again with still about 50% battery. I'm pretty sure I also got the RED battery indicator at that battery level. But as I got closer it quit making noise and seemed to change color. It was hard to tell because the sun was SO bright, and I didn't bring my sun shield.

I'm thinking both my batteries are toast, but the one is still somewhat serviceable, for short flights anyway.

Here's the info I got when I uploaded the file to Flytrex.

Max Altitude 4810 feet

Max Ascent 112 feet

Max Speed 18.74 mph

Avg Speed 1.43 mph

Max Distance 340 feet

Travel 2152 feet

Duration 17:05 mins

Since I'm still using the 3.06 firmware I'm going to try the Livefuel batteries. One to start, and if that works, then I'll get another.

I was out the other day, i'd got the quad way up in the air, about 1800ft, when my battery indicator also went red, and the messsage "not enough power to return to home" popped up.

It cleared after a second or so and then quad was fine.

not sure why though

MrTommy said:
So off I go today to test out all my new stuff. I haven't flown in months
There's your problem. Storing Lipo batteries with a full charge is bad for them.
DJI released new battery firmware a few months back that auto discharge to 50% if unused for 10 days to prevent this.

You said up 1800'? That's waaay up there to see a message saying goodbye Phantom . . . ;)

So when the indicator went red, did you actually have plenty of power? Like mine saying 80% - in RED?

I don't get this. I've never seen this until just recently, and like I've mentioned several times in other posts, I'm still running 3.06. Ancient firmware - ha. Although now I'm thinking it has a lot to do with my 'toasted' batteries.

Meta4 said:
There's your problem. Storing Lipo batteries with a full charge is bad for them.
DJI released new battery firmware a few months back that auto discharge to 50% if unused for 10 days to prevent this.
I'd love to have that capability, but I'm afraid to upgrade my firmware. Or is it battery software? Hell, I didn't even know the batteries HAD any brains . . . And I haven't seen anywhere in my assistant that shows that.

I guess I'm WAAAAAAY out of the loop. So for now I just leave the batteries discharging in the Phantom until they are down to - well - whatever - and not recharge until I plan to go out flying. P.I.T.A.!

Oh, and do all the batteries have this capability, or just newer ones?

Store them at 50% using the dji app or you risk them going bad like the ones you have now

I was running 3.6 till recent on my v+ (my non plus phantom vision is running 1.08 and never getting new firmware again)

Battery version 2.0 has the feature(I think but could be wrong) as all three of mine are 2.0

I recommend only discharging them to 8% if you are doing a deep cycle otherwise don't worry about it as long as they are stored properly they will last
One thing you need to look at is the life percentage in the pc app it will tell you how much is in them

general01 said:
Store them at 50% using the dji app or you risk them going bad like the ones you have now

Battery version 2.0 has the feature(I think but could be wrong) as all three of mine are 2.0

One thing you need to look at is the life percentage in the pc app it will tell you how much is in them

How do I check for battery version? Until now, I didn't know they had a version... :eek:

If I fly the batteries down to about 10-15% can I safely store them like that? Or do I then have to recharge to about 50% and then unplug.

Oh, and both these batteries show over 90% "life" left in them even though one is waste for sure, and the other somewhat workable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie