I can't decide which way to go. . . .

Reaction score
This is not so much an editing post, but a post questioning which way to record and get footage in, none or log.
I had the impression that shooting in log was comparable to shooting in raw in a sense.
And would give more options later for color grading and making your footage in better look general.
Then I saw this video:

So I decided to do my own test:

By doing my own test I was hoping for a clear decision which I would use for my default filming method but I am more confused on which looks better.

Feedback welcome, thanks!

Unfortunately your video won't load up. :(

EDIT : I got it to load in 360p so couldn't see to much. Maybe YT still processing it. Ill check back later.

The free lut and log+graded look best to me, but only by a tiny margin compared to none+graded and only in this shot. Other shots may have a very different result.

Shooting in DLOG and going through post production, really only makes sense to me in very peculiar lighting conditions where the auto settings will make something of interest disappear in the shadow or be too bright. I would think of it as HDR rather than RAW.

Can anyone else get this to load any faster than 480p? I have a fast wide band connection so I am not sure why it won't load.
I reloaded at 1080p here. It defaulted to auto-480 but I changed to 1080 (huge difference) and reloaded the whole page at 1080p.

Weird... I want to see the difference as I am very interested in the results. Tough to tell in 480p :D
Very strange! Can you please try it again

And let me know your results. I am assuming you do not have a bandwidth issue and this is exclusive to my video.
Thanks!

The free lut and log+graded look best to me, but only by a tiny margin compared to none+graded and only in this shot. Other shots may have a very different result.

Shooting in DLOG and going through post production, really only makes sense to me in very peculiar lighting conditions where the auto settings will make something of interest disappear in the shadow or be too bright. I would think of it as HDR rather than RAW.

I am still on the fence.
My older brother cautioned me once with my canon camera to always shoot in raw because you never know when you will stumble upon that one shot you wish you could do more with.
So I shoot in JPEG+RAW, this can slow things down if you do not have a fast card, and 99% of the time I am fine with the jpg's but he was right. Out of thousands of shots there have been a few having the raw file has been really beneficial and these were not shots where I would have thought I better take that in raw.

So with that said I always like to err on the side of overkill because I never know when I will happen upon something that I really want to work with.

Unfortunately with the information I have seen and my own testing I have down there is not a clear winner between none vs log on using the DJI camera

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20