I Can't Believe it! MY "New & Improved" shell has a crack after 7 flights!

Reaction score
After DJI "fixed" my quad because of stress cracks around the rear motor mounts and sent it back to me a few days ago, I inspected it yesterday and noticed this crack on the arm after just a few flights!

And this crack is on the arm itself and not in the screw mounts.

All 7 flights were flawless and the landings were all hand caught.

I handle and treat my quads like a new born baby!

The old "flawed" shell lasted much longer than this.

Man...this is ridiculous!

Anyone else had a new and improved shell crack?

vq79dk.jpg

Last edited:
Turnt braking down to 70% and loosened the screws by hand that what i done with mine?

Just curious, have you balanced your props? Not saying that's the reason, but it is even more odd if you have balanced props.

I didn't balance them but they were brand new DJI props that I installed when I got it back from them.

i did back off of the screws when it arrived, just a little bit tho as they weren't very tight at all.

Brand new props are as likely to be out of balance as an old prop. If one of the props is badly out of balance it shakes the crap out of the frame when running at high rpm. Again, not saying this is why your arms are cracking near the motors, but it would be nice to rule it out. Always fly with well balanced props.

Most people add a little weight, near the hub on the back of the light blade. You can use tape or paint on a little paint or epoxy. I don't like to sand the heavy blade as it risks changing the aerodynamic character of the blade if you are not careful, and can make the blade pretty thin.

Disappointing to see this. Thought this would be fixed by now.
Oddly, this wasn't a problem on the first gen Phantoms.
Higher torque motors and active braking?

The braking setting in DJI Go has absolutely nothing to do with this, it's just a preference. Active ESC braking, if it is being used is going to be controlled on the ESC and is not a setting that you can change.

Most people add a little weight, near the hub on the back of the light blade. You can use tape or paint on a little paint or epoxy. I don't like to sand the heavy blade as it risks changing the aerodynamic character of the blade if you are not careful, and can make the blade pretty thin.
You only take a pinch of dust off by sanding, however anything is better than nothing, they are practically all out of balance to varying degrees.

Reactions: robsquad
Right, I've just not had much success with getting enough weight off with sanding unless it is off balance by only the smallest amount.

Disappointing to see this. Thought this would be fixed by now.
Oddly, this wasn't a problem on the first gen Phantoms.
Higher torque motors and active braking?

Maybe not the first gen but I have had the problem with my P2V and both my P2V+V3's. Not many flights on my P3P yet but I keep a sharp eye out for any that most likely will develop.

I was going to buy the Inspire 1 but that thing is so big, it would be difficult to lug around town taking shots like I do with my Phantom.

But if the Inspire doesn't have issues like these cracks, I may just reconsider because I can't keep sending these things off every couple weeks to get fixed. o_O

The braking setting in DJI Go has absolutely nothing to do with this, it's just a preference. Active ESC braking, if it is being used is going to be controlled on the ESC and is not a setting that you can change.
If you turn down the active braking in the the app the craft does not stop so abruptly, mine is turned down as low as i can get it

Active Braking and ESC Braking are two ABSOLUTELY different animals and have nothing to do with each other. Active braking definitely DOES increase the stresses from an unbalanced prop!

I posted this question before, but I'm wondering If some that are experiencing cracks are using carbon fiber props. In other words, does the stiffness of the cf props send the energy back into the shell adding the potential for stress cracks. Eg. - if the white are more flexible and the pilot accelerates the drone quickly, does that cause the blade to flex and absorb the energy rather than the shell arms? Any thoughts on this?

Vibration isn't "caused" by flex, or the lack of it. Its caused by the prop being out of balance. The flexibility only changes the frequency as it reached the prop hub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers