I can't believe it....first timer

Reaction score
So I finally got over the fence on scooping a quadcopter. I opted to go with Phantom 2 with vision (FPV model) so I am here this evening to inquire about preparing for first time flight. I have tried using the search feature to search for sticky threads regarding first timers but did not find anything suitable so I come to you all this evening for assistance. I have already memorized the manual via .pdf and it is saved on my desktop. I have already downloaded the app for it and set up everything on it. Does anyone recommend programs or accessories that could better optimize my flight experience with the drone? I have an iPhone 5. Can't believe I just dropped $1,200 for a potential fun hobby!!! I am really looking forward to using this thing :mrgreen:

If you read the manual then you're probably way ahead of a lot of people. :?

In addition to the manual though I also recommend watching some of the youtube videos out there on first flights and on how Home Lock and Course Lock work.

A quick couple that I recommend are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxtOMsIsezo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96oQ74Tq95w

There's also one I liked for updating the firmware that goes through the whole process including calibrating the compass etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0YHQeWaj8

Other than those kinds of things just take it slow and find yourself a big open space to practice in while you get the hang of things.

That chick is a babe. As for the calibrating the compass...do I have to calibrate every flight I take with the Phantom?

You shouldn't have to calibrate it every time. But any time you update the firmware you should. Also any time you travel any significant distance from where you calibrated it. Since as you move around the declination - direction to the magnetic pole - will change and can affect your readings.

Welcome! I wouldn't worry about IOC etc for your first flight, out of the box the Vision does not have it enabled. Stick with the standard GPS mode for a while until you get used to the systems.

If you head on over to the Vision sub-forum there are lots of ideas there for pre- and post-flight checklists, maintenance tips, flight tips, moving on from the stock Vision mode to Naza mode, accessories for things like cutting glare on the phone when using it FPV and for the more adventurous beginner loads of people modding the whatsit out of the Vision for extra long range!

:D

Just to clarify, Pull_Up referenced IOC, that is the course lock and home lock referenced by Lastknight. I agree with Pull_Up's recommendation to avoid that for now.

Have fun! Nothing like your first liftoff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

At the end of your flight when you have landed I would suggest you stop the motors by holding the left stick down and not doing the reverse of starting (sticks in and down). This should help to avoid your P2V tipping over and maybe damaging the props.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik