I can't believe I bought the P2 instead of the P2V+

Reaction score
I thought I had researched everything, but I guess I really misunderstood my options.

I love my P2 and HD-D3, it's great fun. But I now realize that I need to piecemeal a bunch of other parts together in order to get FPV. Had I not been a knucklehead, I would have just bought the P2V+ and had it working out of the box. I have no one to blame but myself, and just wanted to vent.

Now back to flying the P2...

If your the kind of pilot who doesn't like to tinker, modify, or upgrade then yes buy the P2V+.

If not, the P2 is a great choice because you can design your own FPV system. You'll learn LOTS and have a 'modular' solution that allows the transfer of the FPV system to other platforms in the future.

Cheer up! It's Friday :cool: .

Bucky said:
I thought I had researched everything, but I guess I really misunderstood my options.

I love my P2 and HD-D3, it's great fun. But I now realize that I need to piecemeal a bunch of other parts together in order to get FPV.

Funnily I think the same thing with the P2V+. Grass is always greener syndrome.

I think I would like to have a better quality video image, Hero 3 for instance. I think I would like to have a better FPV viewer, not my phone. I think you should embrace the decision, I am having to as well, and run with it. Enjoy flying.

You two should swap. :) You will find your P2 to be a good thing, it might not seem like it now, but you will have a lot of fun learning and installing. You're in the right place for help to do that. Just try and take your time and it'll be very rewarding.

i got the p2v+ then got annoyed that i shoulda bought the p2.. Hero3+ is soooo much better quality.

so i sold that and bought a p2 :D

The quality of the hero far outweighs the vision plus ease of use IMO

GoPro 3+ Black delivers high quality footage, that is suitable for even Hollywood movies (Hobbit has GoPro footage for an example). And if everything goes well the upcoming GoPro 4 will make things looking even better. For an example 4k in 30fps and 1080p in 120fps will be few of the features that GoPro4 will have as far as is known at the moment.

If we are talking about FPV for the sake of flying, I think the Phantom Vision (non plus) is the best as it enables manual mode FPV flying. Having 3-axis gimbal in Vision+ is for the purpose of shooting video. Vision+ is great package for someone looking for out of the box solution, but thats pretty much it. From a video production professionals view (I run my own production company delivering TV ads etc.) theres no comparison with GoPro 3+ Black and Vision+ footage... its another discussion why. In a nutshell Vision+ delivers good quality, but if you make GoPro 3+ Black footage the standard of good... then Vision+ delivers much much lower quality.

When I got into Phantoms, I got in because this was the easy way in. I did like the out of the box flying experience and I wasnt into DIY/building quads by myself/soldering stuff into my Phantom. I still like to get things out of the box in working condition, but I've become more and more open to doing stuff by myself. Soldering stuff into my Phantom isnt so big deal to me anymore. If I have understood right, Phantom 2 has video-cable ready to be attached to a videotransmitter so adding one should be easy.

With Phantom 2 instead of Vision+ you can get the best possible video footage with GoPro 3+ Black and you can achieve many times longer range for your videofeed.

Miika said:
GoPro 3+ Black delivers high quality footage, that is suitable for even Hollywood movies (Hobbit has GoPro footage for an example). And if everything goes well the upcoming GoPro 4 will make things looking even better. For an example 4k in 30fps and 1080p in 120fps will be few of the features that GoPro4 will have as far as is known at the moment.

If we are talking about FPV for the sake of flying, I think the Phantom Vision (non plus) is the best as it enables manual mode FPV flying. Having 3-axis gimbal in Vision+ is for the purpose of shooting video. Vision+ is great package for someone looking for out of the box solution, but thats pretty much it. From a video production professionals view (I run my own production company delivering TV ads etc.) theres no comparison with GoPro 3+ Black and Vision+ footage... its another discussion why. In a nutshell Vision+ delivers good quality, but if you make GoPro 3+ Black footage the standard of good... then Vision+ delivers much much lower quality.

When I got into Phantoms, I got in because this was the easy way in. I did like the out of the box flying experience and I wasnt into DIY/building quads by myself/soldering stuff into my Phantom. I still like to get things out of the box in working condition, but I've become more and more open to doing stuff by myself. Soldering stuff into my Phantom isnt so big deal to me anymore. If I have understood right, Phantom 2 has video-cable ready to be attached to a videotransmitter so adding one should be easy.

With Phantom 2 instead of Vision+ you can get the best possible video footage with GoPro 3+ Black and you can achieve many times longer range for your videofeed.

Totally agree with that, for the same reasons.
If you gave me aP2V+, I would trade it immediately for a normal P2. (If I didn't already have one)

Well, thanks for all the great replies. I feel better about my purchase I suppose.

Just to make sure I understand this though; there is not a single, pre-packaged, turnkey solution to provide FPV and flight data to the P2 at this point? I do in fact need to seek out parts such as transmitter, receiver, monitor, antennas, etc?

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to educate!

buy the mini iosd, dji video transmitter, fpv hub, and blackpearl diversity monitor, and you wont have to do any soldering

Alib said:
buy the mini iosd, dji video transmitter, fpv hub, and blackpearl diversity monitor, and you wont have to do any soldering

I'm going to do this. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I need to learn the difference between the iOSD Mini and the iOSD Mark II, but I will search or start a new thread. Thanks!

Bucky said:
Well, thanks for all the great replies. I feel better about my purchase I suppose.

Just to make sure I understand this though; there is not a single, pre-packaged, turnkey solution to provide FPV and flight data to the P2 at this point? I do in fact need to seek out parts such as transmitter, receiver, monitor, antennas, etc?

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to educate!

Sure there is, but be prepared to spend a little bit of money:

http://www.dslrpros.com/dslrpros-products/dslr-drone-kits.html

Bucky said:

I love my P2 and HD-D3, it's great fun. But I now realize that I need to piecemeal a bunch of other parts together in order to get FPV. Had I not been a knucklehead, I would have just bought the P2V+ and had it working out of the box. I have no one to blame but myself, and just wanted to vent.

Now back to flying the P2...

there are endless posts on this topic... and have been for awhile. :shock: :shock:
take a look, its in a book. READING RAINBOW

Never implied it did.

Having raw capabilities as well as full control over the camera settings, built in geotagging and shutter control in flight makes for a better still image gathering platform vs the GoPro offering.

Cicada said:
Never implied it did.

Having raw capabilities as well as full control over the camera settings, built in geotagging and shutter control in flight makes for a better still image gathering platform vs the GoPro offering.

Yeah the Gopro has it's raw abilities as well and you can fully control it via an Iphone or an android at up to 600m. Sorry but so far in this category of cameras nothing beats a GoPro. Period.

sergekouper said:
Cicada said:
Never implied it did.

Yeah the Gopro has it's raw abilities as well and you can fully control it via an Iphone or an android at up to 600m. Sorry but so far in this category of cameras nothing beats a GoPro. Period.

The GoPro doesn't take raw photos, It's limited to jpg. ProTune is for video only.

I wouldn't recommend turning the GoPro wifi on in mid flight if you're using 2.4 for control. DJI has issued a warning against doing this. Also, the H3-3D is plagued with jello issues from many users, quite a thread on rcg about it.

Heroes are the best for video in this size class.

Bucky said:
I need to learn the difference between the iOSD Mini and the iOSD Mark II, but I will search or start a new thread. Thanks!

the Mark II is meant for higher end hexes and quads, as it has a switch inside so that you can switch between two different video sources (FPV camera and GoPro for instance), ..but few need it,. and the Mark II is expensive.

just ge the iOSD.

and don't hav buyers remorse, you bought the better of the two I'd say,. much more functionality and the power of the GoPro.
-and you can upgrade to a better Tx later on with it as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik