I buy a new p3 advanced from dji and I receive the old motors version

Reaction score
Hi dji sucks I buy from dji Web site a new p3 advanced ND I receive the version with old motors ...I write to dji and I didn't receive answer how can I do to receive the new version?

worst thing is that to get new motors probably you gonna lose bird for month, and someone will wreck it and put new motors..

Check camera focus issues, and think about keeping that one if works fine.

imho, i would ask for new device. that's why i did not bought from DJI. i bought from dealer that have 30day return, no questions. I live in Europe, prices are bit higher compared to USA.

Good luck

Hi dji sucks I buy from dji Web site a new p3 advanced ND I receive the version with old motors ...I write to dji and I didn't receive answer how can I do to receive the new version?
I don't know if it is fair to say DJI sucks just because your P3 didn't have the new motors.

If you are that so adamant about it it probably would have been a good idea to contact them to verify you would, indeed, get one with new motors.

Or you could have bought one from Amazon where you can return it no questions asked, or buy one locally, which probably would have been the best option.

But to say DJI sucks, I believe is a little unwarranted.

Just my .02

Sorry if I was a little hard to say that sucks but I call dji and then I enter to the online service I wait one hour to get attention and when I tell about the problem they so me that they can't change my product ...it's not fair that because when you buy something and more if you buy direct from the brand you could have the best response and you receive the product you want

How can you tell if you have the new motors or not? I just ordered an advanced on amazon and mine comes tomorrow. Just curious what to look for when I get it so I know.

It's easy to notice the new motors are diferent in many ways first of all they don't have the big holes and they are flats

Hope this helps...
New vs Old motors.jpg

Reactions: Karanba and Noble 1
There's nothing wrong with the old motors. They are not any different from a flying perspective. My advanced came with the old motors and I loved it. When it wrecked and they replaced it FOR FREE, they replaced with the new motors! I can't tell the difference. Especially if you're on 1.6 FW. It detunes the motors anyway for colder weather.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's been said the old motor version have a higher wattage communications, according to the FCC filings by DJI. Reports are they have slightly better distance capability. There's nothing wrong with old motor type and some in this forum prefer them. Just make sure you update the firmware to the latest, you'll be go to fly.

Last edited:
My p3p is working flawlessly on the old motors. It's fairly new, early January, but I didn't know what to expect or ask for so I got what I got. I also upgraded to 1.6 straight away (a newbie error perhaps) but again, performance, stability and response are all excellent. All in all pretty happy at this point in time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that DJ is still shipping V1 units. I thought that was the only sure way to get a V2 unit. I don't blame you for being disappointed if you were after a V2 unit. I have purchased two P3P's since last November, both times expecting V2's, but receiving V1's. But, I didn't purchase directly from DJI.

Frankly, it might be a good thing in terms of where the firmware base is, if you are paying attention to this fun. The significant difference between the two versions is that the lift motors run much cooler on V2. This doesn't seem to translate into more flight time, or anything, nor do I believe it to be a maintenance issue. It might not be worth fussing about.

I, on the other hand, strap extra batteries on my P3P's for extended flight time. The heat build up on my V1's became a concern for me so I ended up upgrading the birds to V2. This involves buying and replacing a new ESC center board and lift motors. I absolutely do not recommenced doing this. Not only is it costly, if something goes wrong - you end up having to deal with.......... D J I, (There, I said it...)

But yeah, I understand your frustration, totally.

think u have 7 days to get a full refund, after that the amount and availability of a refund period diminishes.getter' done

There's nothing wrong with the old motors. They are not any different from a flying perspective. My advanced came with the old motors and I loved it. When it wrecked and they replaced it FOR FREE, they replaced with the new motors! I can't tell the difference. Especially if you're on 1.6 FW. It detunes the motors anyway for colder weather.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am fairly certain that in a blind test, no one could tell the difference between new and old motors. I have had both and to me there was no difference at all. The new motors are a bit more difficult to remove props off of IMO, because I dont like the prop removal tool they come with.

There was a thread where somebody testing batteries tested on both new and old motors. It seems, if I remember correctly, the new motors ran about 7% longer. All he did was hover the P3. I have both P3As with the old motors and new. I might reset all flying parameters and then fly them out together and back and check if there is any difference. I would then swap the props, do the same run. Then swap the batteries and do the same run. It wouldn't be perfect but would be interesting to see the results.

New isnt always better, component revisions in production are for all sorts or reasons, cost saving being the most common. The marketing department rarely misses the opportunity to make something or any change though. Many seem to be flying happily on the V1 setup.

There was a thread where somebody testing batteries tested on both new and old motors. It seems, if I remember correctly, the new motors ran about 7% longer. All he did was hover the P3. I have both P3As with the old motors and new. I might reset all flying parameters and then fly them out together and back and check if there is any difference. I would then swap the props, do the same run. Then swap the batteries and do the same run. It wouldn't be perfect but would be interesting to see the results.
If you are interested in the real performance differences (if any), this is the post to read: New or old motors phantom 3

Thanks Meta4. That is the thread I was referring to. In the first couple of pages there is a spreadsheet posted. Now granted the only test was with new body/new motors vs old body/old motors and the test was just hoovering until 10% auto land. The new motors ran 21:11 while the old motors ran for 17:55. I would have like to seen the props changed as well but still those are pretty significant numbers. 21:11 is like 18% longer. Again it is just hoovering but it is a substantial difference in my opinion. Being I have one of each I plan to do some testing just for the fun of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic