I bought the wrong iPad

Reaction score
Did a bunch of research and decided on the iPad Air 2, Wifi. It's working well, but today I tried out the feature where you set the home point to the remote's location. Pilot popped up a message saying "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired". Turns out the Wi-Fi version of the iPad Air 2 does not have GPS. Luckily I'm still in 30 day return window so it's going back and I'm getting the cellular version with the GPS.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I bought the cellular version of the iPad Mini 2 for this very reason.

FYI, you don't have to enable the cellular service to use the GPS. However, the iPad will be ~$100 more then.

Yeah I have no plans to enable the cellular but I have to buy the cellular version to get the GPS.

I bought the cellular version of the iPad Mini 2 for this very reason.

FYI, you don't have to enable the cellular service to use the GPS. However, the iPad will be ~$100 more then.
I did the same. No service, cost more but has GPS.

Reactions: dirkclod
Just to clarify the iPad Air 2 WiFi will not work?

What features do you lose with the WiFi version?...vs. the Cellular version?

Cellular comes with GPS. GPS enables you to set your controller as the home point if your moving around while flying (walking, boating etc.).

Cellular is nice because it enables you to get mapping in the Pilot App without having to cache it first from a wifi network. Someone mentioned tethering their iPAd to their iPhone while flying. Not really a good idea as that's communicating over a 2.4ghz network the same spectrum that your controller uses for the RC control and video feed from your Phantom.

Now there are Android phones out there that let you tether using the 5ghz spectrum from the phone. This wouldn't have the same risk as using 2.4ghz. People may say the 2.4ghz tether works fine but I personally won't risk it.

Get a T-mobile iPad Mini 2 (Retina) used on Swappa.com, T-mobile gives 200mb free data a month for life of the tablet which is more than enough to download maps even if you change locations every day. I use this tablet with a Hoodivision visor and it works perfectly.

Get a T-mobile iPad Mini 2 (Retina) used on Swappa.com, T-mobile gives 200mb free data a month for life of the tablet which is more than enough to download maps even if you change locations every day. I use this tablet with a Hoodivision visor and it works perfectly.

You can do this without having any other t-mobile plan?

Ok thank you for the clarification.

I have the iPad Air 2 wifi.....dont mind cache maps and will most likely not move during flight.

So I think what I have might be find. Thank you for your help.

Ok thank you for the clarification.

I have the iPad Air 2 wifi.....dont mind cache maps and will most likely not move during flight.

So I think what I have might be find. Thank you for your help.
I also use my mini as a GPS navigator on trips, and if I want to have data for a trip it is by-the-month with AT&T so no big deal for one month.

Reactions: dirkclod
Cellular comes with GPS. GPS enables you to set your controller as the home point if your moving around while flying (walking, boating etc.).

Cellular is nice because it enables you to get mapping in the Pilot App without having to cache it first from a wifi network. Someone mentioned tethering their iPAd to their iPhone while flying. Not really a good idea as that's communicating over a 2.4ghz network the same spectrum that your controller uses for the RC control and video feed from your Phantom.

Now there are Android phones out there that let you tether using the 5ghz spectrum from the phone. This wouldn't have the same risk as using 2.4ghz. People may say the 2.4ghz tether works fine but I personally won't risk it.

I didn't know that. I've been tethering with my iPhone. Could I first link it where I'm at, cache the maps, then disconnect the iPhone tether. So far, I have not had any issues or glitches. What could happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a bunch of research and decided on the iPad Air 2, Wifi. It's working well, but today I tried out the feature where you set the home point to the remote's location. Pilot popped up a message saying "The mobile device's GPS signal is weak and its location cannot be acquired". Turns out the Wi-Fi version of the iPad Air 2 does not have GPS. Luckily I'm still in 30 day return window so it's going back and I'm getting the cellular version with the GPS.
so glad to hear this. thanks!!

I didn't know that. I've been tethering with my iPhone. Could I first link it where I'm at, cache the maps, then disconnect the iPhone tether. So far, I have not had any issues or glitches. What could happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I tether my iPad before flight sometimes if I see in the Pilot App while I'm at the flying site that I don't have mapping or the mapping isn't detailed enough. Key is to tether it then go into the maps and scroll around your area of flight and let it update the maps. Zoom in on the areas you think you will be flying as well as that will cache more detail. You never know when that detail may come in handy if your P3 goes down and you have to go looking for it based on its last location on the map.

Worst that can happen if you tether over 2.4ghz is you could lose control and crash. Is that likely? Probably not but I personally wouldn't chance it. Most likely is that you'll experience some other symptom like laggy video feed or limited distance etc. when I experience issues like that I can almost always correlate it to my P3 being near a neighborhood (within 150ft or so). Lots of 2.4ghz wifi signals coming out of people's homes.

The new iPad has arrived. Really like having the GPS. It's nice to be able to set the return point to the remote, but also the app now accurately show the position and direction of the remote.

What happens if you have no signal? Was in a remote location today and couldn't acquire GPS. A cool feature would be to zoom in and select a home point on the map regardless of GPS.

Teather using BT and not wifi, works just fine. Just turn on your Hotspot, turn off wifi and pair via BT to your iPad, this is what I do and have no issue.

**UNDATE - Ipad mini2 overheats and lags in hot weather, sold it and got the Air 2 cell, much better.

Last edited:
The new iPad has arrived. Really like having the GPS. It's nice to be able to set the return point to the remote, but also the app now accurately show the position and direction of the remote.
more reading I see. I did not see how to set the return point to the remote. I also bought the ipad mini 2 cellular and just received my Phantom3 advanced the other day still studying up on it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic