I bet you can't make your Phantom do this... I am making progress...

Reaction score
Winds: less than 10 mph
Loading: gimbal and GoPro.
Weight: about 1150 grams, DJI says max weight = <1200
Temp: about 70 f
Altitude: about 4,500 feet

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You need to perform an advanced calibration via the Vision software. Once that is complete, perform the usual on scene calibration and this yo-yo effect should cease.

You need to perform an advanced calibration via the Vision software. Once that is complete, perform the usual on scene calibration and this yo-yo effect should cease.

Thanks for mentioning that. It's not a Vision, it's an FC40, which is a P1 with a different control frequency. We use the NAZA assistant to do what you've suggested.

Today, prior to the flight in the video, I checked the IMU calibration, it was not needed. I did do a basic and advanced IMU calibration less than a week ago. I lowered the compass on the landing gear by about 1/4 inch today, in an attempt to resolve Yaw issues. It didn't work, but that is the only change I have made in weeks.
I did do a Compass calibration, at the same location, within the hour, prior to the video.

Who's next?

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for mentioning that.

Today, prior to the flight in the video, I checked the IMU calibration, it was not needed. I did do a basic and advanced IMU calibration less than a week ago. I lowered the compass on the landing gear by about 1/4 inch today, in an attempt to resolve Yaw issues. It didn't work, but that is the only change I have made in weeks.
I did do a Compass calibration, at the same location, within the hour, prior to the video.

Who's next?

Did you ensure the surface upon which the drone was located during the advanced calibration was completely level by using a bubble type level?

I have a digital level I used to ensure the table I used was level to within +/- .02. I used cardboard under the legs of the small table to make sure it was within specs. If you didn't use a level to ensure a stable and level surface, then you may have inadvertently done an advanced calibration that saw your drone being mis-calibrated from the very beginning.

Edit: The calibration being greyed out under the Tools tab isn't always the right indication of a compass cali problem. Performing an advanced Cali on a level surface cured my drone "wobbles" even though the software said it was good.

Did you ensure the surface upon which the drone was located during the advanced calibration was completely level by using a bubble type level?

I have a digital level I used to ensure the table I used was level to within +/- .02. I used cardboard under the legs of the small table to make sure it was within specs. If you didn't use a level to ensure a stable and level surface, then you may have inadvertently done an advanced calibration that saw your drone being mis-calibrated from the very beginning.

Edit: The calibration being greyed out under the Tools tab isn't always the right indication of a compass cali problem. Performing an advanced Cali on a level surface cured my drone "wobbles" even though the software said it was good.

Why yes I did ensure the NAZA module/FC was very level, I even started a thread on that very subject some time back. I have a pile of soap boxes which I regularly stand upon to preach that very subject. I'm happy to know it's fallen upon receptive ears, or eyes really.
Look at my signature, it includes a link to a webpage I have written on the subject.

I really appreciate your input and hope you keep throwing ideas at me.

Reactions: steveeds
I had not seen your prior information about IMU calibration. However, you've done an excellent job of explaining it!

I would then be wondering if there were external factors you aren't aware of impeding your compass cal. Barring that, if possible, I would check the readouts in the Vision software via a laptop while calibrating to see if the compass is out of specs for the area you're trying to calibrate in.

Did that make sense? I'm fairly exhausted. lol

I had not seen your prior information about IMU calibration. However, you've done an excellent job of explaining it!

I would then be wondering if there were external factors you aren't aware of impeding your compass cal. Barring that, if possible, I would check the readouts in the Vision software via a laptop while calibrating to see if the compass is out of specs for the area you're trying to calibrate in.

Did that make sense? I'm fairly exhausted. lol
Last week I watched an excellent video which you can find here:
www.wynotweb.com, it's front and center on the homepage of my website.

I did all of that with my Phantom plugged into my PC. It was kinda fun to watch the numbers go crazy while I swirled the Rare Earth Magnet around and stuck it to my compass.

FYI: I have a new compass enroute at the moment.

Last week I watched an excellent video which you can find here:
www.wynotweb.com, it's front and center on the homepage of my website.

I did all of that with my Phantom plugged into my PC. It was kinda fun to watch the numbers go crazy while I swirled the Rare Earth Magnet around and stuck it to my compass.

FYI: I have a new compass enroute at the moment.

I would bet the new compass module will fix your problem. Using a REM near the drone isn't something I would do. Did you degauss the compass after doing that? Perhaps a good degaussing would put your original compass back to flight standards. Otherwise, if the original compass isn't bad, I'm at a loss as to why you've had such issues.

I'm at a loss too.

Tomorrow I will pull the gauss plug and see if I can degauss it.
For tonight, I say G'nite and thanks for trying. I'm tired.:D

Reactions: dirkclod
I'm at a loss too.

Tomorrow I will pull the gauss plug and see if I can degauss it.
For tonight, I say G'nite and thanks for trying. I'm tired.:D

Me as well. Tried going to sleep a while ago and look where I am! LOL! Nugging things out with you about possible issues. *sigh*

To sleep as well as I did in my 20's!

Reactions: IflyinWY
Me as well. Tried going to sleep a while ago and look where I am! LOL! Nugging things out with you about possible issues. *sigh*

To sleep as well as I did in my 20's!
Yea, that'll happen...

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Winds: less than 10 mph
Loading: gimbal and GoPro.
Weight: about 1150 grams, DJI says max weight = <1200
Temp: about 70 f
Altitude: about 4,500 feet

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
1200 grams is 1.2 kilograms or 2.2 lbs. That's a pretty big load. Wow!

1200 grams is 1.2 kilograms or 2.2 lbs. That's a pretty big load. Wow!
Hey Robbie,
Have you weighed your Phantom?
I have a P1 arriving today and I will weigh it.

I'm thinking 1 Kilo = 2.2 pounds.

Hey Robbie,
Have you weighed your Phantom?
I have a P1 arriving today and I will weigh it.

I'm thinking 1 Kilo = 2.2 pounds.
Would be very interested in what you find. I don't hae a scale that can measure something that light. Just human scales.

I was using the Naza software and it notified me that firmware v4.02 was available. I did the update, recalibrated the IMU and compass and then I couldn't control the copter. I crashed three times in a row. There are storms in the area and I wonder if the electrical activity in the air was causing me problems. I hope it's not the update that caused it because I don't know how to take it back to the last revision of firmware.

Anyone have any thoughts on this. BTW, the wind hadn't been bad at that point. I gave up when the wind started picking up.

Was it doing this before you moved the compass? You mention fixing a yaw issue. Did you move it back?

Reactions: IflyinWY
Was it doing this before you moved the compass? You mention fixing a yaw issue. Did you move it back?

Please define "moving the compass".

The compass isn't moved unless it's a few hundred miles from where it was initially calibrated. Technically, it is moved each time you're more than a few feet from where you last calibrated it. All of the known, correct, information out there shows that a new compass calibration isn't required in less than a hundred kilometers. Most say less than 300Km.

So please. Be specific.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.