I am 100% Hand Catch on ALL Landings

Reaction score
I think it's very simple to do when I fly by myself or have someone with me that can catch it for me. I've practiced a bunch trying to land on very flat parking lots and the like and all it takes is one little gust of wind and wham over goes the Phantom.

I really don't know why people seem to have so much trouble landing.
I hand catch sometimes when there's no appropriate landing spot. But whenever possible I land it and have never had a tipover.
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you land on a level surface with no momentum.

I just think the Phantom for how awesome it is truly does not have a great landing platform, even the most experienced pilots will have the tip over now and then, so I am no longer risking it. Plus it gives a nice cool down breeze in the Atlanta summer after a successful flight :)

I'm 100% hand catch. Since I got the P2, I grab it by the battery instead of the landing gear like the P1.

I guess if I landed more, I'd be better at it but I like hand catching and my props stay clean and white and scuff-free.

Please be very careful hand catching. This poor fellow was hand catching a Phantom with carbon fiber props... it is not for the faint of heart, blood, etc...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc[/youtube]

cahutch said:
I hand catch sometimes when there's no appropriate landing spot. But whenever possible I land it and have never had a tipover.
It shouldn't be a problem as long as you land on a level surface with no momentum.

+1
good surface and landing is not a problem even if there is some wind, just have to make sure you commit yourself when you land and not sissy it when you are just above the ground ;)

I used some old broken carbon fiber kite rods to make landing extensions for the sides and back of the quad. I did not extend them out to the front because they show up in the videos from the camera. I normally try to land either on a level surface or at a slight incline without worrying about it tipping over.

Attachments

• legextentions.jpg
    legextentions.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 1,046
I think as long as it's a flat and hard surface (concrete) it's worth practicing. Is a great way to finish a flight (video viewed). In saying that ovals/fields/parks I always hand catch. My last ground landing was a tip over and it takes something so minor to force it. Again weather, area and commitment are all factors ..oh and prop supply's :)

I've hand-landed probably 150 times and ground landed maybe 50 times. I much prefer hand catching - no problems ever, even in >20mph wind (although that is a little exciting). Sure it's easy to land on the ground if it's smooth and flat but it usually isn't for me. Why risk it? Hand landing is so clean and easy, almost anti-climactic.

To me landing is part of the fun. Get rid of the default landing gear and get the wider, taller version. I haven't missed a landing since I put the new landing gear on and that includes some windy days. The V2+ is just too topheavy for the landing gear that comes with it IMHO.

LuvMyTJ said:
Please be very careful hand catching. This poor fellow was hand catching a Phantom with carbon fiber props... it is not for the faint of heart, blood, etc...
I watched the video, and given that the Phantom also had prop guards, I am mystified as to how this injury was sustained in the absence of a momentary lapse in higher brain functions.

I use to be 100% hand catch, now I can't point very far!

Attachments

• finger.jpg
    finger.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 684
If you can't land hand catch , but I don't understand the landing problems. I fly off concrete , grass , never a problem.

I have been hand catching recently but I need all my fingers! Yikes. I thought about getting one of those camera protectors in case the drone had to land and I was nowhere near. Looking at it... I think it would be hard to hand catch after installing one so you would be forced to land on the ground every time. Anybody still hand catching with a camera guard in place?

cahutch said:

Ditto. Never had a tip over in over 100 flights and have only hand grabbed it once or twice.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31