Hunt for the perfect flight location....ongoing!

Reaction score
Well here's the thing,
Sunny, low wind Saturday perfect for flying so yesterday off we set, now we have this little voice in my head telling me to avoid unwanted onlookers...still learning, no high tension power lines and somewhere that will allow me to take home video a little more exciting than multiple vision of me waving at the camera, I head off to the local field, 5 minutes away only to be confronted with 3 cricket matches being played, plenty of people keep going.....1 hour, 13 suitable fields later, all failing the mental criteria in one way or another that I have laid down with myself. Is your local sports field your default fight location satisfying enough? I find myself searching far and wide to get the PV2 in the air for a satisfying session, I'm here in Sydney Australia need some ideas guys. I have a country property that's located 400 Kim's away and am looking forward to that location with kangaroos and kookaburras and no power lines, in fact no power other than solar, but not close enough to fulfill that urge on average weekends. That hunt is still on for the perfect location....where do you go?

John
http://youtu.be/o9j4OSHZyrY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 630
We have a cool train trestle that I visited a couple months ago, but I hear you about unique places to visit. That's part of the fun of flying though, is going out exploring to find those cool places! :)

Attachments

• Trestle-Valley-Winter-Panorama-web-BW.jpg
    Trestle-Valley-Winter-Panorama-web-BW.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 707
Driveway. Some day I'll get to see what it's like to fly it somewhere flat, but I quickly learned obstacle avoidance and terrain following.

Attachments

• DJI00044-2.jpg
    DJI00044-2.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 583
bluecreative said:
We have a cool train trestle that I visited a couple months ago, but I hear you about unique places to visit. That's part of the fun of flying though, is going out exploring to find those cool places! :)
Nice photo bluecreative, the B&W really added that extra touch. Beautiful.

iDrone :!:

jdmutton said:
Well here's the thing,
Sunny, low wind Saturday perfect for flying so yesterday off we set, now we have this little voice in my head telling me to avoid unwanted onlookers...still learning, no high tension power lines and somewhere that will allow me to take home video a little more exciting than multiple vision of me waving at the camera, I head off to the local field, 5 minutes away only to be confronted with 3 cricket matches being played, plenty of people keep going.....1 hour, 13 suitable fields later, all failing the mental criteria in one way or another that I have laid down with myself. Is your local sports field your default fight location satisfying enough? I find myself searching far and wide to get the PV2 in the air for a satisfying session, I'm here in Sydney Australia need some ideas guys. I have a country property that's located 400 Kim's away and am looking forward to that location with kangaroos and kookaburras and no power lines, in fact no power other than solar, but not close enough to fulfill that urge on average weekends. That hunt is still on for the perfect location....where do you go?

John

Man I thought I was the only one feeling and thinking like that!!!!

I am also very picky when it comes to my flying locations and people looking over my shoulder really puts my mind where it does not need to be, today for example I was flying and I had a dude take pictures of my flying and i really felt like Justin Bieber in Miami I kid you not.

Anyway, why I do is 2 things and they do help me find good flying locations:

1 - Use google maps and browse your area, you will be surprised how many empty/lonely and undiscovered spots are around that nobody knows about.

2- fly at odd times, for example I am an early bird so at 7am I go to the beach and there is no one there and I have a boas! versus going there on a sunday afternoon is suicidal. Marinas, beaches and such are pretty empty during the week, school parks and stuff during the weekend are also pretty empty.

iDrone said:
bluecreative said:
Nice photo bluecreative, the B&W really added that extra touch. Beautiful.

iDrone :!:

Thanks iDrone! :)

Good point: I think drone pilots need some code of conduct to minimize the change of accidents. This weekend in the Netherlands a video was published on Youtube of a guy flying nearby people in a roller coaster without permission from the amusement park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2GwJXnDcC0

This way it's just a matter of time before tight regulation will make it impossible to fly at all.

Great Pictures by all. I live very close to the desert and I'm always tempted to take my Phantom along with me. Guess I'm going to have to find a way to carry it on my Motorcycle with me.

Keep shooting those pic's

Understand, share your concerns at public parks. With great weather and lots of people in California I feel the pain. I agree with the Google earth recommendation. We have several areas that pop us, unfortunately some by the airport and etc. I am really luck to have a small K-6 christian school around the block from me. No flying during the day or Sunday Morning, but any other time is abandoned.
wRa59tAFJ433PZldsc2eDeB3gznxalqIZa2pqI-Hycw=w291-h217-p-no
. Flying near dusk is fun, but draws folks if you fly very long at all. Also look to see when the local fixed wing clubs fly. Talk to them if you fly at 7:00 am you usually have 2-3 batteries before they roll out of bed....... Besides they have suggestions too.

Thanks for the question. I also agree that without diligent constraint by all the new RC pilots we will have undue regulation.

Apart from a few years living in the hometown of the PV2 (Shenzhen), I have lived in more or less the same area of Liverpool on and off, all my life and even in my immediate locality (within a couple of miles) I have found small open green spaces that I did not really know existed. So another thumbs up for Google Earth and also for our city planners who have done a reasonable job over the years of stopping the whole place being covered in concrete. Helped by the fact that the city went through a bad period of economic downturn during the 1970's & 80's when the planners went crazy in some cities, knocking down nice old buildings and building new ones everywhere.

I really enjoy putting the PV2 in the car and tootling around the suburbs doing a bit of low altitude aerial exploration :)

jdmutton said:
Well here's the thing,

John
Come down the coast for a day trip m8 I am at Wollongong, plenty of uncrowded spots to fly. Here's a photo I took just not far from my house, Bass Point near Shellharbour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 380

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers