HUGE discrepancy between DJI no flight zone and air traffic control

Also just as a side thought then, are the kit flyers (huge kits) at santa pola, the kite surfers in Los Arenales then illegal as they are above ground level ?

Thanks, its crazy really as you are right, the hills are thousands of meters high and a plane could not go along some of the valleys unless its going down.

DJI must have sourced information from somewhere when they did their maps, how can it be so wrong ?

I like your maps, where did you get them from ?

The maps are from SkyDemon, my flight planning / aviation navigation utility.

//Thomas

Also just as a side thought then, are the kit flyers (huge kits) at santa pola, the kite surfers in Los Arenales then illegal as they are above ground level ?

That's a good question! I am by no means an expert in air law, but I would assume that all tethered aviation activities (such as kites, balloons, etc) would need some kind of permission. Not that anybody would care...

//Thomas

The official government recommendations state do not fly near airports.

10km is not near airport so 60km is miles away !

How is joe public ever going to know the real facts on this ?
There are several large retail chains all selling drones in the NFZ.

Its almost like a conspiracy.

Hi Robin
I agree with you it's getting so complicated now so I think I'll do as I've been doing for the last 10 years out here, keep low and quick get the vid/photos and scarper.

OT I'm sure I met you one day about 2 years ago on La Manga you and your buddies were teccing on the beach/sea on a windy day and somebody fell into the sea fully clothed, was that you?, I was chatting to one of your guys over the garden wall.

Ok, where I fly regularly well away from DJI no fly zone and more that 8kms from airport.
(its a class B airport)

I was advised last week that this maybe a problem so I contacted the air traffic control at the airport and they say the no fly zone goes out about 60kms from the airport. The no fly zone is zero feet and up and this includes drones.

This is plainly ridiculous as no aircraft is going to fly that low that far away, added to fact we have lots of hills in area they go up over 3600m.

So not sure what to do now.

How did the air traffic controller react? Did they sound busy? I've thought about calling them before but kinda felt silly about bothering them about flying my drone. I just keep away from the airport.

Hi teccer
Maybe right, I have taken down all my youtube videos which is a shame.

I do remember you and you had camper van in garden. You have a very good memory.
I do also remember your goodie box.
Was not me who fell in :)

Last edited:
How did the air traffic controller react? Did they sound busy? I've thought about calling them before but kinda felt silly about bothering them about flying my drone. I just keep away from the airport.

I emailed them in the end, I got war and piece back, regs, pictures, the whole shebang.

Reactions: Mario_SB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav