How windy is too windy ?

Reaction score
I suppose this is a bit like how long is a piece of string but I have just been out for my second day of practice and for the first time I experienced a heart in mouth moment when a gust of wind took the PV2 sideways when it was only 10' off the ground. I estimate it was blowing F5 gusting F6. Up in the air the GPS lock seemed to cope OK-ish but I became concerned that a gust would knock it sideways on landing and ruin a prop so I abandoned the training.

So, obviously calm is best (esp for photography) but what wind strengths do more experienced pilots consider too much for safe flying and landing ?

Getting behind protective barriers (trees, buildings, hills) help a lot... that's also one thing to do when you're fighting too much wind flying high... go down and make your way. This is very similar to scuba diving btw...

LeoS said:
Getting behind protective barriers (trees, buildings, hills) help a lot... that's also one thing to do when you're fighting too much wind flying high... go down and make your way. This is very similar to scuba diving btw...
Yes, I know whatyou mean. I am a keen sailor and we call it 'in the lee'. I eagerly wait for the day when I am skilled enough to fly my PV2 off the back of the boat :)

I've seen a few people in agreement on 15ish miles per hour ground speed being the break off point, and that's pretty much what I've been using, though your mileage may vary...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I've seen a few people in agreement on 15ish miles per hour ground speed being the break off point, and that's pretty much what I've been using, though your mileage may vary...

-slinger
That is F4 in the scale we use here. It was around 20mph gusting 25 when I flew so you confirm what it felt like (not sensible !) so I am glad I stopped before anything broke :)

LeoS said:
Getting behind protective barriers (trees, buildings, hills) help a lot...
Just be aware that you will hit a lot of turbulence (rotor) when doing so!

Do always keep in mind that depending on terrain, it might seem calm at ground level,
but considerably more windy the higher up you go.

If you're flying high and get caught in high winds, the Phantom might be unable to fly back towards home location.
- and if you hit Failsafe, it will merely struggle against those winds - AT that altitude, until the battery starts to fail, and then it will drop from the sky.
So the key to saving yourself from that happening is to stay calm, turn on Home Lock and pull back on the right stick while trying to lower altitude to make a safe landing at home or in visual range.

I have a cheap digital anemometer in my flight case. I don't fly in anything that averages over 15mph, or with gusts over 20mph. At that limit I always head upwind with a full battery and fly around over there, knowing that the wind will bring me back home. Those speeds are no good for video, and still will have a good tilt on the horizon ig you use GPS. Atti mode can provide some smoother vids and much better stills but you'll be amazed how fast downwind the aircraft can be pushed with a good breeze. Hit the GPS switch before she gets into your overhead. You will get shorter flight times.

Unless you've got a good lee of something to land in I would consider practising a safe catch for a landing. I bring the Vision to a point just downwind of me (if I get it wrong it will blow away from me, not into me), bring it in above my head, then walk over until I can reach up with my right hand and grab a skid (keeping the aircraft to my side), then hold on while I hold throttle fully closed for a couple of seconds until the props stop.

Noël said:
LeoS said:
Getting behind protective barriers (trees, buildings, hills) help a lot...
Just be aware that you will hit a lot of turbulence (rotor) when doing so!

Also watch for swaying things (leaves, hanging roots, cables, etc) and how far they can reach(!)... my one and only crash with my PV was due to heavy winds suddenly blowing some coconut tree leaves toward my PV :evil: I didn't realise they could swing that far.. my propellers em all up.

Pull_Up said:
I have a cheap digital anemometer in my flight case. I don't fly in anything that averages over 15mph, or with gusts over 20mph. At that limit I always head upwind with a full battery and fly around over there, knowing that the wind will bring me back home. Those speeds are no good for video, and still will have a good tilt on the horizon ig you use GPS. Atti mode can provide some smoother vids and much better stills but you'll be amazed how fast downwind the aircraft can be pushed with a good breeze. Hit the GPS switch before she gets into your overhead. You will get shorter flight times.

Unless you've got a good lee of something to land in I would consider practising a safe catch for a landing. I bring the Vision to a point just downwind of me (if I get it wrong it will blow away from me, not into me), bring it in above my head, then walk over until I can reach up with my right hand and grab a skid (keeping the aircraft to my side), then hold on while I hold throttle fully closed for a couple of seconds until the props stop.

+1 on this, especially regarding pulling the Phantom out of the air when windy, as opposed to attempting to land. You'll save a bunch of props and wear and tear on the motors and your peace of mind...

I just, today, expierenced low level wind problems today with the Phantom 1. No problem up about 50 feet, in a fairly light wind, but when I brought it down, the Phantom shook and I finally got control and brought it down. We have all sorts of wind currents around the house here which can cause some problems.

First time I have noticed that problem.

I consider myself pretty proficient with my P2V. I got a little ballsy a couple weeks ago and went out in the backyard and took off with 20mph gusting to 25mph winds. I was ok and able to keep it steady until the GPS hold got it....but then I went up about 10' and a gust came and almost blew it into the house. I managed to get it back on the ground with no damage...but could have been worse.

I look forward to taking her on the houseboat up in Canada. The weather is always great when we go up there and with a 55' houseboat...it'll be like landing a Piper Cub on an aircraft carrier. :D

If you don't have that much stick time with your P2V, then I don't think I'd push the limits yet. (unless you have a good supply of props. )

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj