How Tough is ATTI Mode?

Reaction score
I flew RC heli's for a long while and considered myself pretty darn good at it! I've yet to fly in ATTI mode with my new P4, curious how radically different it is on a calm day. How much does it naturally move around?

I also want to selfishly fly indoors for fun.

How much does it naturally move around?
It depends on the wind speed. It'll hold it's position vertically, but drift horizontally with the wind.

Reactions: floridajustin
Even in little or no wind, the bird will move some, mostly from side to side or front to back. This would be caused by sight variations in the thrust and turbulence below the rotors. Since the altitude is controlled with the Barometer input, atti doesn't affect altitude hold. as the wind picks up, the bird would obviously drift with it. Even in higher wind, say up to 3-4 mph, tit isn't hard to keep up. Biggest danger is that the pilot would loose the orientation of the bird and have trouble putting in the right commands to counter act. Thats why a lot of us routinely practice flying in atti mode, to keep our reflexes toned up. Of course, it helps that the apps show aircraft orientation on the map, but try flying by just watching the bird (just in case you get in atti mode and loose video feed at the same time -it happens!). Indoors should be pretty easy, no wind and not far enough that you can't directly view the bird and determine orientation - still need to practice!

Also, when you return the sticks to neutral position it will carry on going, and not come to an immediate halt as it would in GPS mode.

On my first time out with my P3S I flew it in Atti mode because I didn't know any better. It wasn't hard at all. After that I RTFM. (Read The Flying Manual)

Tobby

If you have flown Rc heli's, esp the smaller ones that are super squirrely, ATTI will be a peice of cake. You only have to concentrate on drifting, no collective and transitional lift issues (the barometer still operates to maintain altitude).

tit isn't hard
well there's one word that didn't fall into the profanity deletion.;)
I haven't had any issues in atti mode other than what others have said.
It flies faster and won't stay in one position

One suggestion is to fly it downwind a bit so you are landing into the wind on the return leg.

Tobby

It isn't difficult at all. Make certain you are high enough and practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before my P3A I started with a syma x5c....only atti mode on these great fun and a big learning curve...
Atti mode on phantoms are easy quiet offen fly it for some fun..and just how spoilt we are with dji technology

Its not too bad, if you're ready for it. Get a cheap toy and fly it around the house to annoy the pets and leave the phantom for open spaces, though. A lot of crashes on YouTube are from indoor flying. Watch a few crash compilation videos and take note.
I use atti mode for a few moments every time I lift off. As soon as I'm higher than all obstacles, I'll put the bird in atti mode and get a handle on navigating in the wind. If its too much, I simply won't fly. Weather reports are great to read, but atti mode is a true test of just how bad the wind can be. Hope this helps

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Yes after having grasped defeat from victory flying and binned planes, gliders, small quads and numerous helos, you get a grip on free flying. The beauty is if I fly in atti mode and the breeze is out of control, switch it back to GPS and you can calm down. I do it occasionally at fairly high and reasonably far distances to push myself to remind me of the limited skills I picked up before flying something that lulls you into a false sense of security.

At the age of 12 I saved up my paper round earnings, built a control line stunt plane from a balsa wood kit when the paint was dry I fired up the 0.49 glow plug engine, my assistant released and the 5 second flight ended in such an impact even the engine was scrap [emoji34] over the next 20 years or so I tried again with several rc aircraft and helicopters all with limited success and all ending in the same manner. My wife bought me a P3P for Christmas and I've already got probably 10 times more flight time (and many times more enjoyment) than my all my previous model flying - thank you DJI for making something so accessible and (almost) fool proof - I ain't gonna be flicking no attitude switch anytime soon thank you!

Sent from my SM-T230 using PhantomPilots mobile app

At the age of 12 I saved up my paper round earnings, built a control line stunt plane from a balsa wood kit when the paint was dry I fired up the 0.49 glow plug engine, my assistant released and the 5 second flight ended in such an impact even the engine was scrap [emoji34] over the next 20 years or so I tried again with several rc aircraft and helicopters all with limited success and all ending in the same manner. My wife bought me a P3P for Christmas and I've already got probably 10 times more flight time (and many times more enjoyment) than my all my previous model flying - thank you DJI for making something so accessible and (almost) fool proof - I ain't gonna be flicking no attitude switch anytime soon thank you!

Lol,
I don't remember how old I was but many moons ago I had the Cox airplane with the strings attached.
it was more fun to fire up the motor and smell the fumes.
Someone came by and showed me how to fly it. Basically in circles but he went up and down and all around.
I took over and went straight up and straight down.
carried my parts and my pride home with me.:(

- thank you DJI for making something so accessible and (almost) fool proof - I ain't gonna be flicking no attitude switch anytime soon thank you!

You will not have a problem flying it in attitude mode. It is not difficult. Just put it up higher then any obstacles and fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31