How to use autopilot to get pro cinematic shots from your Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hi there.

As a Phantom 3 user I was always frustrated by the single remote controller. Having to fly the Phantom and try control the camera simultaneously was a mission.

Luckily thats changed and with the help of a great autopilot app like Litchi I have been able to get amazing results. Here are my tips for using Litchi to get the best results:

1. start simple: you want to get to grips with the Groundstation (GS) mode as that is where you will shoot the majority of your autopilot shots. Drop 2 waypoints on the map. Add a single POI. Make sure your Mission settings have Heading = Waypoint defined and your Waypoint setting has Gimbal Pitch = Focus POI. I call this shot the POI Flyby and it will show you how the Phantom whilst flying from waypoint 1 to 2 will focus on the POI. You will be blown away at how simple yet powerful this shot is
  2. Then when you have that POI Flyby worked out you want to try playing with the settings. You can choose Heading = user controlled and when the mission runs you can use the left stick to gently look around as the Phantom flies from 1 to 2.
  3. Try playing around with the height setting of the POI and notice how this affects the framing of your subject
  4. Now is time to add a third Waypoint so you can get the feeling of curved turns. Watch how the camera tracks the POI as you smoothly curve from 1 to 2 and to 3!
  5. If you panic, simply hit the F switch to P position. This stops the mission. You can then come back and land if you need to clear your head, or you can go into and change some settings and run the mission again
  6. Don't start your mission if there is an obstacle between where your Phantom is and where the 1st waypoint is. Be very careful of this as its tricky to judge, so rather first fly around and measure the height of the highest obstacle in the area and set your mission settings above this height
I have created an in-depth course going into these issues and a lot more, teaching you 6 killer shots. So if you want to really master autopilot videography check out Phantom Filmschool.

Reveals are my favorite cinematic maneuver! I see this listed in your curriculum. It's a simple, yet very effective motion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4