How to upload 4k to YouTube

Reaction score
I recently puchased a P3 professional and am wondering how to upload the 4k video it shoots to YouTube. I believe YouTube generally limits uploads to 1080.

Yes. 1080p is the max. (That's one reason why I film in 1080p).....

Incorrect - youtube supports lots of resolutions up to 4K.
youtube 4k is 3840x2160 - no need to use the 4096 variant.

If you use Adobe products to edit, media encoder has a youtube 4k preset built in.
After you upload youtube will proces the video in the background - it will make various resolutions available starting from the lowest. It can take a while, several hours, before the 4k variant is available

Reactions: Tim Dawes
Incorrect... You may be able to upload in 4k, however it will only display it in 1080P.

Reactions: Tim Dawes
Then you are doing it wrong.....

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,142
Then you are doing it wrong.....
Well spank my monkey and write him a ticket. I stand corrected. When I was a kid all we had was sticks and chaulk.

If you use Adobe products to edit, media encoder has a youtube 4k preset built in.
After you upload youtube will proces the video in the background - it will make various resolutions available starting from the lowest. It can take a while, several hours, before the 4k variant is available
Thanks for the reply. Which Adobe product are you using?

I have the full creative cloud suite, but for video I edit in premiere pro, encode in media encoder.

To save the pain of editing 4K I usually create proxies in premiere pro and work on those, there’s a bit of an upfront rendering time, but it makes editing so much easier

I have the full creative cloud suite, but for video I edit in premiere pro, encode in media encoder.

To save the pain of editing 4K I usually create proxies in premiere pro and work on those, there’s a bit of an upfront rendering time, but it makes editing so much easier
Thanks. You mention editing in 4k can be a pain. What's different from editing 2.7k?

It just takes a more powerful machine to handle it. There are a lot more pixels to shift around, and the editor needs to decode the video to display. A combination of fast CPU, decent GPU and a healthy dollop of RAM is needed.

Using proxies essentially creates lower res stand-in footage, which is much easier to work with because the machine doesn’t need to handle so much data.

Incorrect - I upload and view in 4K all the time

I

I use Wondershare/ Filmore to edit with. When I go to upload the edited video Youtube only offers me 720 or 1080. I don't see the 3840x2160 option you describe. Are you saying to go ahead and select 1080 and then Youtube will figure out that it's 4K and adjust accordingly?

How are you uploading to Youtube?
I don't know the editing package you mentioned. Does it allow you to render out at 4K to a MP4 file?
When you upload via the upload button on the youtube webpage there is no option to select a resolution - it will take any supported resolution up to the maximum supported.
Can you add a link to one of your uploaded vids?

Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help

How are you uploading to Youtube?
I don't know the editing package you mentioned. Does it allow you to render out at 4K to a MP4 file?
When you upload via the upload button on the youtube webpage there is no option to select a resolution - it will take any supported resolution up to the maximum supported.
Can you add a link to one of your uploaded vids?

Recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help

I shot this video earlier today. I uploaded to Youtube in 1080. I can't tell if this is rendered in 4K or not .

Reactions: jdharrin
How long ago did you upload to Youtube? Right now it's showing a max resolution of 1080p.
On windows you can right-click on the file, go to Details, to see the resolution. On a Mac - no idea!
Assuming filmora can produce 4K, you'll find it in the render settings Export problems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4