How to turn Time-lapse mode on?

Reaction score
I've read the manual and searched through the app and cannot find a way to get into timelapse mode. I am sure It is right in front of my face....but it don't see it. Any hints for this novice?

Reactions: Advexure
I've read the manual and searched through the app and cannot find a way to get into timelapse mode. I am sure It is right in front of my face....but it don't see it. Any hints for this novice?

To access timelapse mode holder down the shutter button for about 3 seconds and this will open up a circular photo options menu. From there you will see a few different options.

#1 - Single Photo
#2 - Burst Mode
#3 - AEB (Automatic Exposure Bracketing)
#4 - Timelapse mode

It is definitely not an easy setting to find if you're just looking around! Enjoy! :D

To access timelapse mode holder down the shutter button for about 3 seconds and this will open up a circular photo options menu. From there you will see a few different options.

#1 - Single Photo
#2 - Burst Mode
#4 - Timelapse mode

It is definitely not an easy setting to find if you're just looking around! Enjoy! :D
So with option number 4 it will create a time lapse video?

Which one do you pick for hdr?
AEB is used for HDRs

So with option number 4 it will create a time lapse video?
With option 4 you will select the interval for timelapse photos to take a photo every X seconds. You would then be able to compile all of the photos in post to create a timelapse video.

#1 - Single Photo
#2 - Burst Mode
#4 - Timelapse mode

Thank you SO much! I'm not totally blind after all:)

Reactions: Advexure
While we're at it, how in gods name does one toggle VPS? Is it possible to tilt your camera above level to the horizon?

Correct me if I'm wrong doesn't timelapse mode take a picture every so often? Then runs it in one small movie. Drone only stays up for 20 minutes

AEB is used for HDRs

With option 4 you will select the interval for timelapse photos to take a photo every X seconds. You would then be able to compile all of the photos in post to create a timelapse video.

I can't imagine what kind of time-lapse sequence one could get from a 15 minute flight! Time-lapse photos are most often spread over quite a long period of time - like maybe taking a pic every 5 seconds, but you take pictures for an hour or two (or more). In 15 minutes of flight, taking a picture every 5 seconds (just as an example) will create a time-lapse video that will not be very long!

Remember, your taking a single frame. But when you play back a time-lapse, you're going to be playing it back at 24 or 30 or 60 fps. Look at some of the GoPro examples on YouTube. I just don't see the practicality of time-lapse from a quad.

I have the same doubts... But. That said. Has anyone tried it? Does it process the photos and create a .mov file out of them, or do you just end up with a folder of images that need to be assembled? As steady as these things are, it is still hard to image a time lapse being stable enough to be enjoyable...

I don't suppose you would typically make it into an animated film, but you'd have a large number of stills might be useful in some situations.
Don't forget gopro users wanting stills can only work like that with it on a phantom as they can't change from video to stills during flight.

You can quite easily assemble photo stills into a time-lapse in Lightroom for example and you can do photo-style manipulation through all the frames..
There are many possibilities.

Depends on what you need, personally I see a lot of use in the timer function because I plan to use my P3 for mapping. So you set the timer on 5 or maybe 7 seconds and then you slowly fly a grid over an area, then you stitch the photos for a 2D map and you can even go 3D if you need. One of the amazing things of the P3 is that a lot of the functions and design characteristics actually make it useable for technical applications that used to be reserved to UAVs worth at least 10 times the price.

Reactions: snerd and RyanK
I can't imagine what kind of time-lapse sequence one could get from a 15 minute flight! Time-lapse photos are most often spread over quite a long period of time - like maybe taking a pic every 5 seconds, but you take pictures for an hour or two (or more). In 15 minutes of flight, taking a picture every 5 seconds (just as an example) will create a time-lapse video that will not be very long!

Remember, your taking a single frame. But when you play back a time-lapse, you're going to be playing it back at 24 or 30 or 60 fps. Look at some of the GoPro examples on YouTube. I just don't see the practicality of time-lapse from a quad.
Timelapse is more typically taken one frame every second......you get 2 seconds of 30 fps video every minute. If you film for 5 minutes, you would get 10 seconds, which is a long cut in a video. I'm guessing the stability of the resulting video will be a function of the gimble performance and the wind. I plan to try a 5 minute shoot and see what I get. I like Timelapse and if it works I have a project next week I plan to use it.

I've done a lot of neat timelapses (on the ground) in <20 minutes. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the P3. Now, if the P3 had a motion controller it would be really interesting. Along with auto landing you could set it, enjoy a beer and wait for it to land. (Of course, with a hammock so you could maintain LOS ;)

While we're at it, how in gods name does one toggle VPS? Is it possible to tilt your camera above level to the horizon?
If I'm understanding you correctly, VPS has nothing to doing with it. It's a gimble function, set in in the gimble settings screen. I'm not near mine now for specific instructions.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Just a few things I noticed today when trying to find this feature:

1. I could only access this menu using the on-screen button and not the controller shutter button. Makes sense but it took me several tries before I figured out my error.

2. With Android DJI Pilot App version 1.2.0, there are now FIVE options:
Single shot
HDR
Multi-shot (3, 5 or 7)
AEB Multi-shot (3 or 5)
Timer (5s, 7s, 10s, 20s, 30s)

3. The last setting is now labeled "timer" which makes is clearer that it just automatically takes individual pictures at the interval specified. This is a function I will use quite a bit when I am flying fields to see crop features. It does not generate a time-lapse movie (like a .avi file) but I think you could use an offline program to generate one using all the photos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers