How to test transmitter and receiver

Reaction score
My FPV has stopped working - no crash or impact, working one day, "no signal" displayed the next. I have given a visual to all connections and they seem fine. I have come to the conclusion it is either the transmitter, a skyzone TS353 or the monitor with built in receiver, a HIEE RM5832.

How can I test each component?

My only thoughts are to buy a new transmitter and monitor then return what isn't needed - rather not do this as there is always postage fees, restocking etc.....

On reading someone elses post on not getting fpv video signal, someone made this comment:

"since you know exactly what channel you're broadcasting on and your receiver is on that channel, if you turn OFF the Phantom (and transmitter) the receiver should go back to being snow, instead of flat black. I believe if that occurs then you know your receiver is receiving that black signal."

Now if I remember correctly, my screen (not a black pearl like this person) also had a snowy screen if my Phantom was off. Now I get the black screen with "no signal" on it whether the Phantom with transmitter is off or on.

Does this indicate faulty receiver? :?:

Probably need to check a few things first.
Have you maybe changed the camera from PAL to NTSC? This will prevent some monitors from working correctly.

If you have a multimeter - £10 or so, you could use this to check you have power going to all components. A visual check proves pretty much nothing, so electrically checking is the only way to be sure.

As it happens, I have a spare TX kicking around which uses the same connections. Mine is the legal 25mW version. Might be prepared to part with it for a tenner, as I can't see me using it. At least then you could rule out your TX as the problem and move it on?

Hey noiseboy72, cheers for the reply. I am certainly on PAL, I like to record 50p so have PAL setting on - plus to rule out Gopro issues I did a hard factory reset which moved everything over to NTSC which I instantly changed back to PAL 50p as I have always used.

When you say use a multimeter to check power going to all components, what exact components are you on about? The screen has power, it turns on. The Transmitter has power, it has a red light that is on when the phantom is on. The Gopro is being charged by the Phantom as it has the red light on even when Gopro is off and Phantom is on and also the plug icon when gopro is on.

I might take you up on your offer of the £10 TX, you in UK? But I just have a suspision it could be the monitor/receiver. The comment I made above your last post about the snowy screen/black "no signal" screen just leads me to think receiver.....

I am in Lincs. Happy to meet up for a fly and cross check with the components on my heli if you like. Sometimes this is the easiest method.

If you have power to all components, then this is a good start, but lack of video line continuity could lead to loss of picture yet still with power.

I had a Boscam receiver that went bad. Power lights on, but no signal. Heliguy who I bought the kit off just sent me a new one in the end. I now have 2 sets of ground gear, a 7" Black Pearl and a 10" with Boscam receiver for any rubber neckers who want to look :)

Noiseboy - quite a journey to travel but thanks for the kind offer. My FPV stuff is less than 6 months old so I recon must still be under warranty. I am in contact with flybys.co.uk who I got this stuff off, they are not the speediest to reply (believe the main guy is away).

I'll let you know if I'm after that transmitter - shop first I think when they do get back.

About 45 minutes if we meet up half way!

Yes, if your kit is under warranty, ask them to sort it out. Could well be an RX fault from what you describe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20