how to tell controller battery level?

Reaction score
How do I tell state of charge of my controller battery? I only see wifi extender and drone's battery levels shown in the various apps?

I always carry 2 sets of spares.
I actually like the AAs vs the rechargable setup.
They last many flights, and you can just pop in new ones without the recharge times.

The controller batteries are good for a lot of flights - probably a few months flights.
When batteries are running low, it will warn you with beeping and slow red flashing that will scare you but you still have plenty of power to safely fly home and replace the batteries.

I've flown over a year and had to change AA batteries only once, and like meta4 said, your Tx will beep to let you know. Carry a spare set of batteries.

Take out the batteries and check them with a volt meter?
I've heard the rechargeables don't give you as much range since they have less voltage. I just use Alkaline AA's and one set lasts all year.
I keep a spare set with my kit and the controller will beep at you when they need to be replaced.

CapnBob said:
I always carry 2 sets of spares.
I actually like the AAs vs the rechargable setup.
They last many flights, and you can just pop in new ones without the recharge times.

2 sets? You are going to have to explain that much anality!!!!

Plug into the RC assist. It shows the volt readings.
Use branded batteries - Energizer lithiums will get you 30-40hrs of flight. I don't skimp out on these as 30hrs/$8 = approx 25c a flight.
And be careful with rechargeables, make sure they have proper contact as some are known to be physically shorter/thinner. If these fall out, your craft may do a RTH and climb 20m into a tree.

cahutch said:
Take out the batteries and check them with a volt meter?
I've heard the rechargeables don't give you as much range since they have less voltage. I just use Alkaline AA's and one set lasts all year.
I keep a spare set with my kit and the controller will beep at you when they need to be replaced.

The transmitter utilizes voltage regulation (~3.3vdc) and an internal comparator for battery level measurement.

There is no risk of range reduction due to battery chemistry or voltage level as long as you do not continue to fly after the intrinsic warnings.

happydays said:
Hmmm. DJI advise us not to store LiPo batteries for a long time with any degree of charge in them, better to store them at 50%. However, how does this apply to the TX LiPo? Once charged up, it could be ages before they become discharged?

And the RE Lipo also. I charge mine after every use back to 100%. It is a Lipo in there right?

happydays said:
Hmmm. DJI advise us not to store LiPo batteries for a long time with any degree of charge in them, better to store them at 50%. However, how does this apply to the TX LiPo? Once charged up, it could be ages before they become discharged?

TX batteries usually are "low rate discharge" so those can be charged a loooooooong time with no damage. I've been using a 2600 mAh in my 9XR TX and sometimes it has been more than 3 months inside TX- no usage. When checked it to fly, just 0.5 v down since storage. More than 18 months with that.

jumanoc said:
happydays said:

TX batteries usually are "low rate discharge" so those can be charged a loooooooong time with no damage. I've been using a 2600 mAh in my 9XR TX and sometimes it has been more than 3 months inside TX- no usage. When checked it to fly, just 0.5 v down since storage. More than 18 months with that.

That makes sense, I suppose!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31