How To Smooth Out My Video?

Reaction score
The video quality I am getting is pretty good but I still have a bit too much jitter and jerkiness for me to make professional grade videos for real estate and marketing--especially when panning. Any suggestions how I can smooth it out?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks,

John

No, higher frame rate won't help you. In fact, a slower frame rate will cause motion blur and smooth things out - a bit. That said, the primary problem the OP is having is that the controller sticks are not exactly precision devices - they are cheap plastic mass produced potentiometers. Not much we can do about that except bypass them entirely.

Use Litchi / Autopilot or even the built in controls to automate pans. Trust the computer. The computer is your friend.

I'd love for someone to come out with drop in replacements for the controller pots made out of either metal or a higher quality plastic. Of course, I'd like world peace, all of my hair back and a pony.

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
Use a higher frame rate if you can. Pan smoothly and slowly.

Thanks Nick & Wetdog,

I gave it shot with a higher frame rate. I'm still not getting the kind of results that compare with other P3Pro videos I see. Here's a 1080P 60 FPS Vineyard video from yesterday. Just not stable. And I'm getting glitchy video throughout. As for the controller--I am seeing the same video quality when I am doing point of interest and when I fly along a heading (course lock).

Here's a video from yesterday:

Glitchy and jerky manually flying straight @ 3:39 (close up) and 4:32 (far away)

Or slow-panning in place (5:40):

Here's another with all kinds of flaring and twitching (starting at 7:00):

And then in Intelligent Flight Modes:

Point of Interest @ 7:15

Course lock @ 0:00 (very start of video)

I am beginning to think the camera is just whacked and needs replacing. Really, not at all happen with the overall results.

I re-calibrated the gimbel and IMU too. Any other ideas anyone?

I wouldn't be happy with this glitchimg either. Have you removed the little peice of foam from the top of the yaw arm? It's like something is binding.

The other thing to cheek is for yaw arm binding. If it is you may be able to loosen the grin screw and move it away from the gimble plate slightly.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I've implemented most of them and I am still not happy with the quality of the ride. It's too jittery and bumpy--certainly not broadcast quality. I can't use this for real estate, weddings, anything but playtime. I've stepped the frame rate up to 60 fps at 1080, and I have put an ND filter on to slow the shutter. In this video I shot yesterday, I do point-of-interest around an office building. The first part of the video is setting up the POI. At 2:42 the actual POI begins. From that point on I am pretty much hands-off (except for some minor adjustments to center the building). Still very unhappy with the results. Any other ideas?

I see it now. Your gimbal is jumping all over the place. Have you done the calibrations (compass and imu)? I don't know that they would improve things, but perhaps useful just to knock it off the list.

If you're powered on and still on the ground, does the camera jitter around? If you take it to a hover at say 6', can you get close and see if it is jittering around?

I see it now. Your gimbal is jumping all over the place. Have you done the calibrations (compass and imu)? I don't know that they would improve things, but perhaps useful just to knock it off the list.

If you're powered on and still on the ground, does the camera jitter around? If you take it to a hover at say 6', can you get close and see if it is jittering around?

Yes, I have calibrated both. It looks like it's fighting itself. I'll re-cal both again tonight and try again over the weekend. The beginning of the video has a few seconds of it on the ground. I'll do the hover test this weekend as well.

Good luck! Any chance its a P4 and still under warranty?

I should hope so. It was shipped to me Aug 5 and I'm pretty sure I bought it with a card that triples the warranty. It's a P3 Pro.

I recalibrated the gimble and IMU. It's still not looking as solid as it should to me. Would you consider this acceptable?

Have you removed the little peice of foam from the top of the yaw arm? It's like something is binding.

This piece. I had same problem until I found this up under drone and gimbal.

12b4da2f697d3826a9d8399752e21d27.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I recalibrated the gimble and IMU. It's still not looking as solid as it should to me. Would you consider this acceptable?
Hi Flyer,

As the owner of the drone and as a customer, I wouldn't be satisfied with this quality. Perhaps if you were simply showing landscapes from the moving drone it would be passable, but for a drone with this price tag, I would consider it unacceptable and with it still being under warranty, I would get it fixed after you've looked at Bfips post.

Have you gone through the Advanced settings to adjust the Gain and such. Looks like you need all that brought down some as the input from the sticks is just too much. Do you have a neck strap? Needed. You want your shutter speed to be 2x your frame rate. So if you are shooting at 30 fps you shutter should be 60. Is everything tight? Have you installed the other 2 pins in the gimbal mount? DJI says not to. Are you 'heavy handed' on the sticks? Have you adjusted the stick length so that the movement is easier to make in smaller increments?

This piece. I had same problem until I found this up under drone and gimbal.

12b4da2f697d3826a9d8399752e21d27.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Well son of a mother. Yes. The sucker was up in there. Nearly 100 flights I've flown with that in place. Thank you very much for telling me. Here's another romp around my neighborhood. Rock solid. Boom.

Reactions: Fletcha Phantom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic