How to setup Phantom 2 FPV with iOSD mini but without gimbal

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a noob at the mulitrotor flying, can anyone please help me figure out the best way to get the FPV working with the Phantom 2 using iOSD mini but not using the gimbal.

Things I have:
Phantom 2
Phantom 2 Jello Killer
FPV Camera
Fat shark FPV Transmitter
7" LCD with Dual Diversity Receiver
iOSD mini
and plug and play cable for phantom 2 to iosd mini to fat shark/ immersionrc vtx.

My issue is how to get video out from my camera (microusb out/ mini hdmi out) to the phantom 2 board (guess somehow have to join it with the gimbal 8 port cable, that is what runs the video to the board). Can somebody point me to a cable connector that I could use, perhaps a micro usb video out to gimbal 8 port connector.

Thanks in advance. :D

Appreciate all your help.

Re: How to setup Phantom 2 FPV with iOSD mini but without gi

While your logic is sound, I'm afraid you can't just patch in to the 8-strand gimbal cable that goes to the mainboard. With the gear you already have, I'd probably suggest getting a USB video cable for the gopro and splicing that in to the video leads on your all-in-one cable.

You would need to start with something like this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1295

The video and ground leads in that cable would then need to splice to the same leads in your all-in-one cable, where the latter would normally connect to the Phantom's mainboard. You would still leave the other two leads (power and ground) in your all-in-one cable connected as normal so they can power the Transmitter.

I've probably made it sound more complicated than it is, let me know if I can clarify or if you want more details. This solution will just bypass the video feed through the Phantom's mainboard and go straight to the iOSD and on to the transmitter, while retaining the power supply for the Tx.

maybe I can phrase it differently... but regardless you're going to be doing some wire patching/soldering. The only plug-and-play solutions are for Zenmuse gimbals. That plug-and-play cable you have isn't going to help you with much, except maybe delivering power from the Phantom mainboard to the transmitter. You'll want to patch video separately

your goal is not "to get the video signal to the Phantom mainboard"... your goal is "to insert the iOSD Mini video feed in-between the camera and transmitter".
So you'll want to take the video output from your camera (2 wires - video and v-ground) and patch that into the 2-wires video INput on the iOSD Mini. then from the (again, 2-wires) video OUTPUT pair from the iOSD Mini, to the input (video and v-ground) on your transmitter.

Thank you guys, for the suggestions, I was wondering if there was any turn key solution to this problem, but seems like a "NO" :cry:, I would be more than happy, if somebody can whip up the connections for me, I am in Boston Area. I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount. Any Takers ;)

I go to Boston all the time, I'll PM you

Hi,

I was just wondering if you were able to install the is mini without a gimbal??

I am in the same boat.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Mike

[email protected]

mike22222 said:
Hi,

I am in the same boat.

Thanks,

Mike

[email protected]

there's no reason you can't... you just have to make your own cable since you can't use the "plug and play" cables. You need a USB-video-out from the gopro which will give you 2 cables, "video" and "ground". patch those 2 cables to the video-in and ground INPUT on the iOSD mini cable.
then take the 2 video-OUT cables (video and ground) to the input on your FPV transmitter. done!

mike22222 said:
Hi,

I am in the same boat.

Thanks,

Mike

[email protected]

These 2 cables will do it:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Ca...ersionRC-or-FatShark-vTx-FatShark-Camera.html - connects fatshark fpv cam to iosd to tx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS - connects to your phantom 2 board next to the "zenmuse" plug for power ONLY to your tx.. no need to plug in any of the other cables..

some overkill but no soldering required.

see youtube video of my setup for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wrqmOvP30o

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik