How to Reduce Vibrations in Videos

Reaction score
Here are some things you can try.

I found prop matching (not to be confused with prop balancing) makes a difference to vibration. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.

1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.

2. If you have several props first fit each blacktop in turn

3. Have the motor being tested with the prop ticking over.

4. Touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

5. When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop AND per motor.

6. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.

5. Do this for each prop and each motor then moving onto the whitetops.

Now you will have the least vibration on each motor.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration due to the more telephoto effect rather than the stock wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it. Credit needs given to a post on RCgroups where l first saw this.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days. But the gimbal will probably need balanced. Thats another story [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Some folks have tried the differing isolation rubbers and some have also use the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls centres - I have not had the need to try these yet.

It might be worth trying these techniques. Your mileage may vary of course. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Hope this helps.

Additionally:

- Balance your props. Using a prop balancer and self-tightening Phantom 2 prop rod and small strips of scotch tape will do the job quickly. Balance the prop (horizontal) and then balance the prop hub (vertical).

- Use an ND filter like the PolarPro. I haven't balanced my gimbal to save weight and I've had no problems. Works wonders in getting rid of jello.

- Make sure your dampers are all installed correctly. From time to time they can slip out of their seating.

- Make sure your clear gimbal safety tie rods aren't too tight (1st clip position vs 2nd), or if using plastic zip ties, make sure they are lose and don't apply any pressure at all on the gimbal plates.

- In post-production, use stabilization algorithms for any footage that exhibits micro vibrations (or just use it on all clips if unsure). Sometimes what appears to be stable footage on a computer or mobile device is very difficult to watch on a large screen TV or monitor. The Adobe Premiere Pro "warp stabilizer" can make help make sure your shots are rock solid.

Hope that helps

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Thanks for the info. I have a lot of reading and forum searching to do, this is my first post here or on any Phantom/multi rotor forum. First task is to learn what some of the terms you used mean. Then I can start to implement your advice.

Can somebody point me to a read about jello? I have experienced it for the first time, on my last flight. Not had this issue before in any of my previous 3 months of flying.

I found prop matching (not to be confused with prop balancing) makes a difference to vibration. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.

1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.

4. Touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

5. When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop AND per motor.

6. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration due to the more telephoto effect rather than the stock wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it. Credit needs given to a post on RCgroups where l first saw this.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days. But the gimbal will probably need balanced. Thats another story [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Some folks have tried the differing isolation rubbers and some have also use the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls centres - I have not had the need to try these yet.

It might be worth trying these techniques. Your mileage may vary of course. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

What does "prop ticking over" mean?

What does "prop ticking over" mean?
Motors on/started with sticks centred as you would just before takeoff. Be very careful, even at low speed props can hurt!

I've never had a problem with jello-never balanced a prop yet-mind you I replace props if they start to look worn on the leading edges. Prop shadow and glare can look a lot like jello-I stopped that by making a lens shade for the camera-I also coloured the front props with a matte black felt pen to stop light reflection from front props to camera.
seems to work for me.

Reactions: NRJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.