How to protect yourself legally when filming gigs

By law, any aircraft operation in the national airspace requires a certificated and registered aircraft, a licensed pilot, and operational approval. Section 333 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (FMRA) (PDF) grants the Secretary of Transportation the authority to determine whether an airworthiness certificate is required for a UAS to operate safely in the National Airspace System (NAS).

This authority is being leveraged to grant case-by-case authorization for certain unmanned aircraft to perform commercial operations prior to the finalization of the Small UAS Rule, which will be the primary method for authorizing small UAS operations once it is complete.

The Section 333 Exemption process provides operators who wish to pursue safe and legal entry into the NAS a competitive advantage in the UAS marketplace, thus discouraging illegal operations and improving safety. It is anticipated that this activity will result in significant economic benefits, and the FAA Administrator has identified this as a high priority project to address demand for civil operation of UAS for commercial purposes.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/

Reactions: NickCopter
Anyone have some release of liability forms when filming for pay.

Also best place to get royalty free music ?

Just started doing this and want to cover myself ?

Any filming you do for pay will be illegal. The FAA considers all commercial use illegal unless you have the FAA 333 exemption, which I hear is a pain in the arse to get.

I use "YouTube Audio Library" for my free use music.

EDIT: Snerd beat me.

Lacking a 333 permit you'd be wanting a liability release for an illegal activity. Yeah... not exactly going to hold up in court.

If you really want one... you can do a Google search and find a boatload of free ones. Same search location will give you a lot of sites with free royalty free music.

If you are really going to do this commercially you should get the 333 exemption, I have filed mine waiting for approval. Right now there is a requirments to be a airplane pilot ?? but that should go away with the new regs but you will need to get the exemption and register you quadcopter. Starting now will put you ahead of the mess to come. I know alot of people are flying w/o the exemption, that is up to them, but planning for the long run in a business is a good idea, also you probably will not be able to get insurance w/o the exemption

If I was asked to fly my P3P and film something for someone, I would not charge the party for flying and filming, but only for editing the video that I supplied them with. Best thing would not be to include your name or business name in the video you edit, but instead, use the clients info and let them get the FAA calls if they post it. Don't take a check and only accept cash, sign nothing.

I was more concerned with the video and to myself in that way then and causing damage to property . I have insurance for biz
No flame bro...I'm with you all the way, but I also work in an insurance related industry. Check your policy and you'll probably find that it only covers your business, not hobbies...AND your policy probably specifically excludes any liability from "illegal" activities. This would pretty much render your policy null and void for coverage of any UAV related activities.

The underwriters are gonna have a field day with UAV's someday. I imagine the actuaries are already working on the figures.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Regarding music -
There are many, many sites out there with varying qualities of 'free' music. As you delve into you, you'll discover different layers of free. Free to use with attribution, or royalty free with a one-time payment, and so on. Do a search for Creative Commons and you'll be on your way.

Some of my preferred sites:
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/
http://freemusicarchive.org

Most allow you license their music with simple attribution, some have reasonable (in my opinion) payment options for commercial use. I don't subscribe to any, but I know that full royalty-free music sites exist that allow you to download and include music from their library.

Many options exist. Most important to remember, is that just because you paid for that CD of Van Halen's greatest hits, that doesn't entitle you to copy their tracks onto your latest video. Not that 'you' would. I should say "doesn't entitle one to copy ....".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik