How to power the hobbyking FatShark set?

I run a small battery for the TX board separate from the main. That way when Im pulling hard power on the quad the screen is still clear etc...

The red/black swirly cable. On the end of it you see a little square thingy. You take the balance cable from a LiPo and use it to power the device through the square thingy. Don't need a new cable.

So in a way you are saying that you use a separate bat (what type?); but one can also use the balance port of the Phantom battery and it works?

Yes, if you wish, you could use the balance port out of the Lipo to power the fatshark tx,
or you could use the Aux power coming out of the leg of the Phantom (you don't necessarily need to use the filter either)

RE: Downlink system comes preassembled and tested for plug/play with your aircraft.
Simply connect the balance lead of your 2S or 3S (7.4V or 11.1V) RC battery to
provide power to your Fat Shark Downlink and you are ready to fly.
The handy balance lead filters RC servo and motor noise from your RC pack for a
crisp, clear image.

I did just like the manual suggests above (by plugging the balance lead from the battery pack to the provided part), no extra battery but you must keep track of the main battery pack somehow.

I had issues with running a 200mw TX from my main battery. When I ran my active gimbal I would get 6 minutes flight time, maybe longer if I was hovering for footage, but when I tried to use an FPV tx the flight duration just tumbled to 3 minutes.

Now, it was a cheap Ebay 5.8 system so not the most efficient but it worked at least so I know it wasn't a failed unit just drawing 3 amps or something. I took the system off and am waiting on delivery of a Predator V2 system to try, I'm hoping that the Tx doesn't murder my flight times as badly.

Anyone else had hard figures on how much time you lose when running a Tx ?

I as well have been using the balance cable to power the Fat Shark tx and have noticed a bit of overall flight time diminishing. I have powered my tx's temporarily in the past with 9v batteries to test with, so tomorrow will be doing a timed flight test with both the onboard 2200 mah battery and then a 9v, we'll see how it goes. I bought a couple of these (DJI-BATT-UPGRADE DJI Phantom Battery Upgrade Thunder Power RC 2700mAh 3S/3-Cell Lithium Polymer FREE SHIPPING 2 $54.99 USD $109.98 USD) Phantom 2700 mah batteries that will hopefully make none of this matter in a week or so :).

I'm using the FatShark Preditor V2 FPV system with the filter.
I soldered slightly heavier wires onto the same points on the board as the thin aux wires are connected to and those wires connect to the filter with a 3s plug.
I think the heavier wires make a big difference to to flight times as the thin aux wires don't carry the current so well and lose power to heating up.Thicker wires are also much less likely to catch fire from over heating.
My flight times can vary between 7:30 and 10 minutes depending on how I fly,ambient temperature and how windy it is.
So on a warm calm day,flying smooth and steady up to 10 minutes.On a cool windy day,flying like a maniac 7:30.
I'm using the stock Phantom batteries and Carbonbird 3s 2250mah.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic