HOW TO: Measure wind speed during flight

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com

Before a mission, I fly up to my working altitude and hover. Switch to Atti mode for a short while and see the direction and speed that the AC starts to move in. From that I can easily determine wind direction and speed. Back to GPS and fly the mission knowing that info.

Reactions: Loz
I get the high wind warning on virtually every flight, I ignore it, and use my own judgement. Flying in ATTI is a good way of checking wind speed. The video shows a Mavic, which to my knowledge can not be switched to ATTI, if you landed every time you got a wind warning, you would not fly very much.

They could have put wind speed sensor in it or al least some kind of information in the app, only the warning is a little bit strange because most of us flying the ac and ignore the warning

They could have put wind speed sensor in it or al least some kind of information in the app, only the warning is a little bit strange because most of us flying the ac and ignore the warning

There is no meaningful and economic way of measuring wind speed else they would have - even manned aircraft use air speed not wind speed. They can estimate wind speed effect by how much the props need to work - which they do - it’s the wind warning we see, not perfect but pretty clever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20