How to map an area with my P2 with GoPro

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been asked to map an area about 4 mile by 1/2 a mile for someone. Currently the only solution I can come up with is flying at 400 ft in a grid pattern and shooting 12mp stills and using them individually. I don't know how to fuse them quickly - I can try with PTgui a software I use to make panoramas but I think it will take a while.

Ideally I would make a fused images (kind of like a panorama) but with the distortion from my gopro lens this will be very difficult. Also with the area I am covering this will be a nightmare!

I have attached an image of part of the area that was done a few years ago. The attached image is of an area 2 mile from top to bottom.

Does anyone know of a way of doing this effectively?? Thanks!

Attachments

• seaport.jpg
    seaport.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 569
  • land.jpg
    land.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 562
You can stitch using the free Microsoft ICE. But for true orthographic map you need to do it with a flat field lenses and use software such as Agisoft Photoscan. You can georeference known points on the image for use in GIS software. But depends on your needs and budget. Its going to be difficult with a fish eye lense even on narrow. But depends on your needs really as to what is acceptable. Photscan will do all the merging and create a 3D model as well as a complete image.

Try do do it on a cloudy day too

I use lens correction software and then put it in Microsoft ice. It seems to do a good job. I have been playing around with pix4d and it can do a good job with the mosaic map but it is mainly used to create 3d models.

Thank you but I started using photoshop 6. The automate has a photomerge and it works great. I also was using PTgui but that didn't work nearly as well.

I added a heavily compressed version of one of my maps.

Attachments

• Merged-SeaportSmall.jpg
    Merged-SeaportSmall.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 407
As good as the Photoshopped image looks, the errors don't make me confident in Photoshop merge.

stitch-Google%20Maps.jpg
Google map image

Stitch%20in%20Photoshop.jpg
Photoshop merged image

I haven't tried it yet because there's no demo version, but here's software that makes a panorama image from your video file:
http://www.serif.com/panoramaplus/

SteveMann said:
As good as the Photoshopped image looks, the errors don't make me confident in Photoshop merge.

stitch-Google%20Maps.jpg
Google map image

Stitch%20in%20Photoshop.jpg
Photoshop merged image

I haven't tried it yet because there's no demo version, but here's software that makes a panorama image from your video file:
http://www.serif.com/panoramaplus/
What errors are you talking about exactly? I can only see timeframe, orrientation and scale as the only differences.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers