how to know if your motor is going bad?

Reaction score
Hi,

How do you tell if your motor is going bad or is bad ? The phantom is my first aircraft so I don't have much experience.

I've flown several times without problems and have had fun. I just want to be on the safe side.

Spin each motor and see if they all feel the same. Spin very fast and memorize how long it comes to a stop and see if all gives about the same duration. Spin slowly and feel if the cogging resistance of each motor is about the same.
If not, then you know which one(s) is about to go bad or bad depending on how it behaves.
After the landing, feel each motor with your hand. Each should have similar temperature, otherwise the warmest one may be about to go bad.
If you fly in a dusty environment, you may want to use the motor spray cleaner that is plastic safe.
You should also lubricate the bearings every 10 or so flights with high speed brushless motor oil.
I drill a hole under each motor for easier oiling, other wise you have to remove the 4 screws on each motor to oil the bottom bearing.

P1240591Small_zps5431cd85.jpg

Did I mention...balance the motors? :D

I turned them slowly.

3 feels freeish ( not so much resistant ) and 1 feels very course ( more resistant than the others)

Does this mean the course one is going bad ?

My Phantom is Brand new and before my first flight spun each motor and all felt a little course but one was worse than the others. I have flown it 3 times now and all fights have been good. I need to feel the motor temps next time. I am considering an uograded bear's ng that are sold on Ebay, they look easy to install and will be smoother.

yappy said:
I turned them slowly.

3 feels freeish ( not so much resistant ) and 1 feels very course ( more resistant than the others)

Does this mean the course one is going bad ?

Definitely you have to do more investigation on that one. I would remove the motor and lubricate BOTH bearing first. Unless when you turn it and feel a little gritty, you may have to clean it with either pressurized air from the air can or compressor of some kind. Otherwise get the motor spray cleaner to do the job (double check that it is plastic safe). Most likely you will NOT need the new bearing. If after the cleaning and oiling, it still feels the same, then you have to remove both bearings and swap them or flip each over and make sure you properly seat them.
Good luck,

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31