How to keep Aircraft Steady on decent

Reaction score
While filming with the camera straight down and keeping the aircraft in a steady descent, how can i keep the aircraft from spinning? I can do it, but have to be extremely careful to keep the stick exactly downward.

You've answered your own question...you just have to be careful not to apply any sideways movement as you pull the stick towards you.
The more you practise, the better you get ;)

Reactions: Slackware
I have thought the same, and come to the same conclusion as Rocky. I wish there was a small detent at exactly center up and down which would tend to center the stick.

Reactions: azgeek
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything. I remember when i had the Phantom 3 standard, the stick used to stay in the down position.

Are you using your thumb, or your finger on the stick? When I don't want yaw, I pull down with my finger on top face of stick.

While filming with the camera straight down and keeping the aircraft in a steady descent, how can i keep the aircraft from spinning? I can do it, but have to be extremely careful to keep the stick exactly downward.

Depending on rate of descent, you could be encountering the effects of Vortex Ring State, which describes the instability encountered when a multicopter encounters the disturbed air from its own propellor wash. This effect is most noticeable when descending in still air.

Just went for a fly with the guards on.not a bad flight however the controls are weird. Left is not left it's right and so forth.. which mode is best to be accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Just went for a fly with the guards on.not a bad flight however the controls are weird. Left is not left it's right and so forth.. which mode is best to be accurate.

Mode 2 should be the default, and the one I recommend. Use that. It should display the controls when choosing the modes, so you can see what stick does what.

Are you sure you're not getting confused by orientation when flying towards you? Mode 2 is the norm.

Reactions: Slackware
Depending on rate of descent, you could be encountering the effects of Vortex Ring State, which describes the instability encountered when a multicopter encounters the disturbed air from its own propellor wash. This effect is most noticeable when descending in still air.

It's not VRS, VRS would mainly increase his descent rate, and the camera/quad would wobble -> he's cross controlling - adding a slight left/right yaw when pulling the left stick down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrice4
I wish there was a small detent at exactly center up and down which would tend to center the stick.

I have the same thing happen to me. Your wish would work for full power ascents/descents but wouldn't quite be of any use for more controlled maneuvers. Still not a bad suggestion.

Here's one way that works well for me. A lot of guys like long sticks. I do not. I make the sticks as short as possible and find them much easier to control. Up and down filming is no problem for me with shorter sticks.

Bud

Do you guys change your stick settings and sensitivity?>

I have the same thing happen to me. Your wish would work for full power ascents/descents but wouldn't quite be of any use for more controlled maneuvers. Still not a bad suggestion.
Yeah Az you are right. I used to always like to descend as fast as possible. It looked cool plummeting toward the ground, then slowing to a gentle soft touchdown. Then on a couple of perfect still days saw something happening that was not good. I think it was the almost a beginning of the dreaded VRS, so now I either descend slowly or a little sideways, or in short bursts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20