How to get started with Part 107

Reaction score
So I'm kicking around the idea of getting my part 107. How do I begin studying? Where do I get study guide? Where is test given? And how much is it? I did look on here first and didn't see anything.
Thanks

The FAA has information on their website here. I keep a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study guides/courses here.

Reactions: DroneTurismo
So I'm kicking around the idea of getting my part 107. How do I begin studying? Where do I get study guide? Where is test given? And how much is it? I did look on here first and didn't see anything.
Thanks

There are numerous YouTube videos as well. I have no intentions of ever flying commercially but I'm seriously considering the same goal.

The FAA website provides you with five or six PDFs to read and per their website the 'initial knowledge test' focuses on..

1. Applicable regulations relating to small unmanned aircraft system rating privileges, limitations, and flight operation
  2. Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions affecting small unmanned aircraft operation
  3. Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small unmanned aircraft performance
  4. Small unmanned aircraft loading and performance
  5. Emergency procedures
  6. Crew resource management
  7. Radio communication procedures
  8. Determining the performance of small unmanned aircraft
  9. Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol
  10. Aeronautical decision-making and judgment
  11. Airport operations
  12. Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures

I think you have two hours to complete the test and it ain't rocket science.. not to say it's easy, but like a drivers test it's a lot of common sense peppered with knowledge of road signs(maps/charts) and variable conditions such as weather. You don't have to be smart to get your certificate. Knowledge is power so study/read everything you can and you'll have no problem.

The test costs $150 to $160 depending on the testing center. I'm a private pilot, so I went that route. FAA tests can be tricky. They often give two answers, one is very close to being right, the other is right. The tests are multiple guess. With today's technology, it wouldn't surprise me to learn if you miss a question, it will automatically ask more questions along that line. But I haven't taken an FAA test since the 70s. Things have changed.

Good luck!
Don

I took the test last week after using Gold Seal to prepare. I felt really prepared going into the test, despite most of the aviation stuff was completely new to me before Gold Seal. I scored an 88 and like somebody else said there were several questions with a right answer and a "righter" answer and then a couple questions that I had no clue about. Anyways I would definitely try the Gold Seal ground School if you want to really learn the material.

Reactions: TerKelDing
How many questions were there and what was the minimum you had to score to pass?
60 questions and you have to make a 70. All the tests are different but it felt like nearly every question I got was on airspaces/sectional charts

Reactions: Photoflash
So its like taking the NCLEX again in my life lol

Also interested in it. No plans to use it. But what can happen in a day to change your mind to make some money or a once in a lifetime opportunity pops up out of no where, you already have it.

Reactions: arnoldd
I am just about ready to take my test after studying the Gold Seal course. It is very good but I have also learned a lot from Jason Scheppert’s RemotePilot101 videos on YouTube. I would have probably bought this course first had I found it before Gold Seal, not to say there is anything wrong with GS at all. Either one looks like excellent prep. I like the quiz resources at GS where you can take them over and over which gets you more comfortable with the multiple choice ‘feel’ for taking the actual test.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20