How to get fine details in Videos

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an important new website project where I need to get the utmost in details on the ground.
I shot using 1080/60fps (Vision + ) and uploaded to YouTube, and found that a lot of clarity is lost when uploading to YouTube.

Are there recommended settings for what I want to do?
Are other platforms better than youtube for this?

A sample can be seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-oDLZz ... e=youtu.be

Thanks so much for your help.

1080i/60 is one of the worst video mode. The i stands for interlaced and is pretty much uneditable. 1080p/30 will do better with the narrow field of view. 720p/60 gives the best quality but brings back a little more fisheye effect which you can minimize by only shooting straight forward or straight down.

Thanks, KGarrison.

I will try the other modes.
Shooting straight down should be an option, so i will try 720/60.
I think that a human that is standing will be better seen when not shooting straight down as it would present a larger profile, and it might be worth the fish eye effect.

I will try things.
Thanks for your help.

PhantomRock said:
Are other platforms better than youtube for this?...

Thanks so much for your help.
Vimeo is better quality IMO

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I get excellent results with 1080p/60 fps and PROTUNE ON. I can add some sharpness with FCPX later. I love this combo.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm anxious for The new gopro 4 with 1080 and 120 fps. Ups, I just see you're not on GoPro. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone

I have been creating and editing video since analog days. I cannot answer your question completely without knowing numerous details of what you do and expect, but I certainly have no problems shooting, editing and uploading to YouTube and Vimeo with very satisfactory results.

I use the GoPro 3 on my Phantom 2 (and many other cameras for other work). I shoot almost exclusively in 1080 i and p, depending on what the final cut to be used for. I also edit in Edius, which is known for it's excellent codecs and ability to work in mixed formats and convert between formats. That being said....

For both YouTube and Vimeo, I convert to 1280x720 Mpeg4. 30 fps. For higher resolutions (and larger files to upload), I usually configure the bitrate as VBR, 8 Mb/sec max and 5 Mb/sec average. To hasten upload time (smaller file at the expense of clarity), I reduce the bitrate to VBR 5/2 Mb/sec. I use the slower bitrate mostly for customer review and approval purposes (it gets the job done faster).

Here is a Vimeo link to a quick clip I put together from some raw footage last weekend. Please note...This is basically unedited...Really rough....I put it up on the internet to generate some buzz for the event that it covered.....a much polished finished piece will come later. The point of the video is to illustrate what you can get with the 1280/720 8/5 bitrate. There's some rapid motion in it, which is where you get mpeg compression blurring, etc. Don't mind the ground camera work....Like I said, there's only minimal editing here.

https://vimeo.com/93852051

Thanks to all. I was referring to how clear objects on the ground are when shot from 150 or 200 feet etc.
It seems like we lost details uploading to youtube.
Thanks I will experiment with vimeo too.

Case29247 said:
For both YouTube and Vimeo, I convert to 1280x720 Mpeg4. 30 fps. For higher resolutions (and larger files to upload), I usually configure the bitrate as VBR, 8 Mb/sec max and 5 Mb/sec average.

For the best quality Vimeo playback it really helps to feed Vimeo a higher quality file that they will ultimately reduce to 5mbps.

I've experimented with a wide range of quality and the best results (pixel peeping fringing and compression artifacts) is uploading a 45mbps average/95mbps max 2 pass VBR 1920x1080 file (which is much closer to the original quality of GPB3 quality)

PhantomRock said:
Hi All,

I have an important new website project where I need to get the utmost in details on the ground.
I shot using 1080/60fps (Vision + ) and uploaded to YouTube, and found that a lot of clarity is lost when uploading

Not only do you not want 1080I, but you don't want to use 60 fps. If you want good detail, don't use either youtube or Vimeo. They will both use compression software to reduce the file size and data transmission rates. Both are consumer sites, not intended for high detail.

If you're serious about what you're doing you need to understand video formats, compression algorithms, etc. there isn't any easy way to get there, but you need to understand the subject much more than you currently do.

I agree with one of the other posters here, the 1080P/30fps narrow FOV will probably give you the best video detail you can get from the Vision Plus. However, anything you do to upload that file to YouTube or Vimeo will significantly degrade the detail you capture.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik