HOW TO: Get FedEx to deliver a Phantom when you're not home

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
When ordering a Phantom or other products from the DJI Store, your package will most likely be delivered by FedEx. DJI requires a signature to be collected for all FedEx packages. When you receive your FedEx tracking information, you'll know a signature is required if the tracking information includes "Indirect signature required".

Per FedEx's website, here are the ways an indirect signature can be collected:
  • FedEx obtains a signature from someone at the delivery address
  • FedEx obtains a signature from a neighbor, building manager or someone at a neighboring address
  • The recipient can also leave a FedEx Door Tag authorizing release of the package without anyone present
If you know you're not going to be home when FedEx is scheduled to arrive and there is nobody else available to sign for you, you can print out this door tag template, complete the sections below, and tape it to your door.

1) Print your first and last name (or the name entered when you placed your order with DJI)
2) Print the date your package will be delivered
3) Print the tracking number (e.g. "Tracking #610340961461")
4) Print the date your package will be delivered
5) Check this box
6) Sign and print your name (of the name of the person from #1 above)

FedEx-Door-Tag-Instructions.jpg

Note: By providing a signature via a door tag, you will be responsible if your package is damaged or stolen after FedEx drops off your package.

I would not do this, as it is on you if it's stolen. Instead, you can request that the item be held for pickup at locations such as Walgreens, where you do not become liable for it being stolen. This is what I do for any Fedex package that requires a signature, and I know I won't be home.

I would not do this, as it is on you if it's stolen.
You need to be smart if you're packages aren't delivered to a secure area, you live in a high crime area, don't plan to be home for many hours/days after the delivery, etc. I've had thousands of packages delivered to my home over the past 6 years. None of them have been stolen. YMMV.

Reactions: MTO and DKG13CC
Delivery times are not accurate either...mine was supposed to be delivered on a Monday and was about to take a 1/2 day off to ensure I was there.

Nothing on the website for tracking to indicate that they were showing up Saturday at 10am... lucky I was home....

TONS of problems with stolen packages here on the west side of LA. We highly discourage authorizing the release of a package, particularly a drone. For Advexure, both UPS and FedEx handle our logistics domestically and both of them have plenty of UPS Stores or FedEx Office locations respectively where you can also have packages held at by request.

We also just got one of the Ring Video Doorbells a few months ago and we absolutely love it. A very cool feature is the neighborhood watch. Last week we had three neighbors with Ring Doorbells publicly report/share the videos their doorbells captured of guys combing the streets checking for unlocked cars. Highly recommend these things. They're quite cheap for what they offer and are very decent quality.

Use your heads, friends. Nobody (including me) is recommending anyone request a package to be dropped in high crime areas. If you live in a high crime area and know a package can possibly be stolen, then I trust you already know you should not be doing this.

Reactions: MTO and DKG13CC
I would not do this, as it is on you if it's stolen. Instead, you can request that the item be held for pickup at locations such as Walgreens, where you do not become liable for it being stolen. This is what I do for any Fedex package that requires a signature, and I know I won't be home.
Unfortunately most of our FedEx packages are delivered from a location about 3 hours drive from here. They have no customer pickup hours and you cannot have them leave the package at any commercial location. This is even though there is another FedEx location barely 7 minutes from my house. The drivers do try to work with me to the extent they can to get the package delivered.

TONS of problems with stolen packages here on the west side of LA. We highly discourage authorizing the release of a package, particularly a drone. For Advexure, both UPS and FedEx handle our logistics domestically and both of them have plenty of UPS Stores or FedEx Office locations respectively where you can also have packages held at by request.

We also just got one of the Ring Video Doorbells a few months ago and we absolutely love it. A very cool feature is the neighborhood watch. Last week we had three neighbors with Ring Doorbells publicly report/share the videos their doorbells captured of guys combing the streets checking for unlocked cars. Highly recommend these things. They're quite cheap for what they offer and are very decent quality.

Love those Rings!

Use your heads, friends. Nobody (including me) is recommending anyone request a package to be dropped in high crime areas. If you live in a high crime area and know a package can possibly be stolen, then I trust you already know you should not be doing this.
No matter where you live, leaving such a signature release also does not guarantee that the package will be left by the driver. It is still entirely up to the driver's discretion. With that release, they may or they may not leave it. YMMV.

Clever porch thieves are following the UPS, Fed Ex and Amazon delivery trucks from the air above using drones, and sending confederates in unmarked white vans to the same doors to retrieve the packages immediately after delivery! Advexures's advice above is well advised and should be followed. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
No matter where you live, leaving such a signature release also does not guarantee that the package will be left by the driver. It is still entirely up to the driver's discretion. With that release, they may or they may not leave it. YMMV.
Maybe take @Advexure's other piece of advice then. Play it safe and pick up a Ring Video Doorbell if you're going to have (any) packages dropped on your doorstep. I trust thieves know all about them, so you shouldn't have any trouble if it's mounted in plain view.

Ring.jpg

They're great. Unfortunately we have some curious folks who like to press them once in awhile :D

IMG_4496.JPG

They also won't guarantee your package will be left by the driver, nor that your package won't be stolen! Security cameras won't deter those that plan ahead wearing a disguise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
Yep. Like I said above, you should know whether or not your preferred delivery location is a safe place to drop packages. Be safe, friend ;)

Reactions: DKG13CC
I appreciate your attempted solution to get a package delivered, but if the driver ignores your release slip, which is still the driver's prerogative, you still won't get your package that day. If I am not going to be home, and want to be certain I get my package that day, I divert it to a UPS Store or FedEx Store where I can still retrieve it on my way home. You can find one nearby that is open late. Guarantees no issues. :cool:

You got it. No need to beat this to death. It's just an alternative solution that others can use if they choose. If you don't like it, then don't do it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie