How to get better video from PS3

Reaction score
I'm a new PS3 owner and loving it so far. My resulting video is sometimes too dark or washed out or there is some flicker in it depending how the drone is positioned to the sun, etc.. So I've been researching some about filters and how they might be able to help, but I'm not so obsessed with getting things perfect that I'll change filters for specific conditions. What I'm curious about is whether there is a consensus around what most people use as their "go to" filter most of the time. Something tells me that might be an ND filter, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you have one filter that you find you use most of the time? If so, please share. :)

Polar Pro ND8 & ND16. Don't bother with the ND4 it's useless. Haven't had a need for an ND32 yet, but On really bright sunny days on the beach or over water you might. I have used a PL1 (Polarizer) with photos over water and over a bunch of cars to help eliminate glare on the windows.

Thanks for that. I just read that some people adjust their shutter speed to align with what filter they use. Is that true? I thought you simply put on the filter and let it do its job.

You can technically do it either way, obviously when set to auto mode you could get away from that 1/60 to 1/100 target range shutter speed when light changes (shadows and location of the sun, etc.) but manually setting the shutter speed you can get over / under exposed areas through your video. Just personal preference IMHO. Here is a good video describing ideal camera settings:
This is for the P4 but everything is the same with the DJI GO app.

What I'm curious about is whether there is a consensus around what most people use as their "go to" filter most of the time.
This chart explains which filter you'll need when shooting in various lighting conditions:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

How do the filters fit onto the P3S, are they just a push fit?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm a new PS3 owner and loving it so far. My resulting video is sometimes too dark or washed out or there is some flicker in it depending how the drone is positioned to the sun, etc.. So I've been researching some about filters and how they might be able to help, but I'm not so obsessed with getting things perfect that I'll change filters for specific conditions. What I'm curious about is whether there is a consensus around what most people use as their "go to" filter most of the time. Something tells me that might be an ND filter, but I'm not entirely sure. Do you have one filter that you find you use most of the time? If so, please share. :)
If you don't want to fight with the minutia, you are going to have to accept less than adequate video quality - it's just a function of video. There are a couple of easy things to do that will make it better:

1) Get a basic filter set and read up on how to use them. They aren't hard. Don't memorize which one to use, just start the bird, point the camera at something similar to what you will be shooting, and stick a filter in front of the lens. Look for a shutter speed of 1/30-1/100.

2) GO SLOW. The automatic exposure on the P3's work but it takes SECONDS to settle. If you are flying around, panning and twisting you are probably going too fast so exposure will vary widely - which is very jarring visually and a PITA to fix in post. This is a flying camera, not a quad racer.

3) Learn some minimal post processing. Like cutting away boring stuff and stuff that is poorly exposed / framed. Which will be the majority of your image. I can take literally hours of images to get a 2-3 minute video. IMHO, YouTube should somehow force people to make at least three delete edits in their video before it can be uploaded. Cutting digital video is absolutely trivial and goes a long way to making your images more palatable to the rest of the world. You don't need to get all warm and cozy to a high end editor although that will, again, do more for your video than pretty much anything. DaVinci Resolve is free and quite good. But even Quicktime supports trimming.

4) On rainy days, look at other videos and get a feel for what works (short cuts, total clip length of a couple of minutes max unless you have a clear and compelling story line) and what doesn't (Videos that show takeoff from grass, an indeterminable view of something nominally pretty, a couple of orbits and Going Home).

5) Don't shoot into the sun. Or if you must, point the camera down - below 45 degrees. Wide angles hate the sun. Unless you are going for some artsy effect, turn the quad around.

6) Have fun, don't sweat it. Whatever you do, when you look back at what you thought was great a year ago, you will be horrified that you let anybody else see it.

I made a couple of videos with my P3S and uploaded them to Facebook. The video quality on FB was poor and seemed low resolution. Any suggestions what I should change or do differently?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I made a couple of videos with my P3S and uploaded them to Facebook. The video quality on FB was poor and seemed low resolution. Any suggestions what I should change or do differently?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I also had that problem. You can change to watch it in HD. I just uploaded to you tube. It let me pick what resolution to upload. I also see people upload to vimeo.

Facebook video is awful.. Just upload to YouTube and share the link on Facebook.

Really? So the neewer ones are equal in build and image quaility?

What about the extra weight on the gimball due to the screw on adapter + filter itself?

Tnx

Me and my mate are looking for filters for the P3S,
He found these on Amazon uk:

{ FILTER SET FOR DJI } DJI Phantom 3 Standard Drone Quadcopter. Filter Kit Includes: UV + Polarizer + Neutral Density ND8 & ND4 FILTERS { FILTER SET FOR DJI } DJI Phantom 3 Standard Drone: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

As mentioned above, will there be any issues with the added weight on the camera,
Would it throw gimbal errors up ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20