How to fix or repalce gimbal after crash ?

AAC

Reaction score
My PV2+ crashed to a small tree in low speed. It could fly back and land safely, the camera was in good condition, only the gimbal is thrashing like crazy. I sent it back to the local sole agent for inspection and repairing quotation. They asked for $810 to replace the gimbal and camera which they said they come as one set, no individual repairing. I don't think this repairing cost is reasonable. Anyone can confirm what they told me is truth ? Or can I DIY to buy parts and replace the gimbal by myself ? or any "non authorized" model aircraft repairing shop near Vancouver, BC, Canada can fix it ?

Gimbal problem video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_MOef3NEY

What they told you is true.
It's not reasonable but alas, that's the way it is.
Plenty of posts here from people with similar circumstances.
Reading them should give you a good idea what your options are.

AAC said:
My PV2+ crashed to a small tree in low speed. It could fly back and land safely, the camera was in good condition, only the gimbal is thrashing like crazy. I sent it back to the local sole agent for inspection and repairing quotation. They asked for $810 to replace the gimbal and camera which they said they come as one set, no individual repairing. I don't think this repairing cost is reasonable. Anyone can confirm what they told me is truth ? Or can I DIY to buy parts and replace the gimbal by myself ? or any "non authorized" model aircraft repairing shop near Vancouver, BC, Canada can fix it ?

Gimbal problem video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_MOef3NEY

I would take the back off the gimbal motor behind the camera and see if the "D" shaft is in line horizontally with the top or bottom of the camera. Sometimes the shaft can loosen and it is trying to look for horizontal and can't find it.

Here is a guide viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20514

I would check all the cable connects on the camera and gimbal. Re-seat if possible. One of mine was loose, I reconnected and it was fixed.

Meta4 said:

Were you saying service center doesn't make profit on selling drone but make their fortune in servicing ?
Something like I send my vehicle to replace light bulb but dealer insisted to change the whole head light ?
Likely I made the wrong decision to purchase this flimsy flying device. DJI should make some effort to provide good protection when it is a flying device.

AAC said:
Meta4 said:

Were you saying service center doesn't make profit on selling drone but make their fortune in servicing ?
Something like I send my vehicle to replace light bulb but dealer insisted to change the whole head light ?
Likely I made the wrong decision to purchase this flimsy flying device. DJI should make some effort to provide good protection when it is a flying device.

Umm, I don't mean to sound nasty, but DJI didn't fly your Phantom into a small tree, you did. If you drove your car into a small tree, would you expect the car company or dealer to fix your car for little or nothing?

Also, there are cheaper ways to fix it, you just need to do some research and make the effort. New cameras are readily available on ebay from $500-$679. There are multiple posts on how to repair a twitchy gimbal. There are also tons of used or crashed camera/gimbals that are available on ebay and online that you can buy for parts.

Sounds like "crazy camera dance". Some people above mentioned looking at the D shaft. This is a quick video that might help. It shows an example of crazy camera dance near the start and a fix.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFxM8OOWRQc[/youtube]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20