How to fix camera focus/softness issues on the P2V

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have decided to post a quick guide on how to fix ongoing issues with the Phantom 2 Vision camera unit, specifically with image softness or lack of focus.
After long hesitation on whether to buy the Phantom 2 Vision, having in mind I’ve seen lots of sample images from it being completely out of focus or soft on one of its sides, I have finally decided to go ahead and risk and buy the quad. I was quite unfortunate to find out my unit was having heavy issues with lack of focus in the center and left side of the image while the right side was very sharp.
While the quad is in warranty it was bought from abroad and would be quite a hassle to send it back so I have decided to check on how and if I can resolve it by myself. And I have achieved… great success.
So first of all you need to remove the whole camera/wifi unit from the Phantom 2.
1. Start by removing the small plug on the back of the camera and gently remove the camera from the rubber bumpers.
2. After which you will need to disconnect the servo lead on the bottom of the camera.
3. When you do so, remove the four little screws holding the bottom cover, you will need 1.5 mm Allen key. Be careful with the shutter button as it may fall off. It’s best to tape it before you start disassembling.
4. Once you remove the bottom cover you will need to unscrew the camera unit inside which is held by two little screws. You can use the screwdriver which comes with the Phantom. Just be careful with the little lens and with the ribbon cable for the camera sensor.
5. Once you remove the unit you will see that the sensor is held to the lens with 4 tiny screws. And that is where the issue lies. It appears DJI do not make quality check and/or adjustments to the camera lens. Therefore it is not aligned to the sensor so the two are perpendicular to each other. In other words you achieve tilt-shift effect as the lens is tilted to a very small degree on one side and therefore the image is soft on one side or completely. In my case it was soft on the left side and center as two of the screws were very over tightened resulting in a tilted sensor.
6. So what needs to be done is to adjust the tension between the sensor and the lens in such way to increase or decrease the distance from the sensor to the lens where the image is soft.
Take into account that the image is flipped vertically (like with a telescope) and is corrected by software in camera to appear normal. Therefore for example if your image is soft on the bottom left you will need to adjust the top right screw on the camera unit.

So after doing all this my image is completely sharp with slight softness on extreme corners which is fine for me.

If you want try it. It saved my whole experience with the Phantom 2 Vision

Attachments

• 2014-04-02-19.32.54.jpg
    2014-04-02-19.32.54.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,693
  • 2014-04-02-19.27.jpg
    2014-04-02-19.27.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 1,565
  • 2014-04-02-19.28.jpg
    2014-04-02-19.28.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,598
Great info on a problem that has plagued so many, myself included. I still have a little softness on the right/top right so will try this fix soon. Thanks again for figuring this out!

lardaz95 said:
What does adjusting the matrix screws do? By the way, nice post!

"adjusts the tension between the sensor and the lens in such way to increase or decrease the distance from the sensor to the lens"

Step 6 in the OP. Red pill or blue pill?

This is an awesome discovery! I'm going to attempt it soon but I had a quick question for the OP or anyone else that maybe understood the tutorial a little better than I did.

I understand the first picture and how adjusting the 4 screws on the front fix the softness on the sides and corners of the image. I'm confused about what happens when the backside screws are adjusted in the second picture. I see you wrote it changes the distance of the camera matrix to the camera lens, but what exactly does that do?

YeeaaBoii said:
This is an awesome discovery! I'm going to attempt it soon but I had a quick question for the OP or anyone else that maybe understood the tutorial a little better than I did.

I understand the first picture and how adjusting the 4 screws on the front fix the softness on the sides and corners of the image. I'm confused about what happens when the backside screws are adjusted in the second picture. I see you wrote it changes the distance of the camera matrix to the camera lens, but what exactly does that do?
I think those are the same screws - just different views, front & back. Looks like the actual screw heads are on the back side.

YeeaaBoii said:
The arrows in the first pic are pointing to the bottoms of the thread bosses in the die-cast block. Four screws bolt the image sensor to the backside of the block.

If I recall correctly the screws are not spring loaded, they simply cinch the PCB down to the block compressing the PCB. However, a fraction of a turn on the right screws will be enough to flatten focus. As they aren't spring-loaded you don't want to over loosen, else vibration may pop the sensor back out of focus. If you're successful, hot-glue the corners of the board to the block to help immobilize it.

iDrone :geek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,327
AnselA said:
How do you check when the adjustments are "correct". Can you take pictures while adjusting the screws?

+1 .........how would you be able test and adjust...rinse & repeat ???

YeeaaBoii said:

The screws are the same, just different views :)

Sledge said:
AnselA said:
How do you check when the adjustments are "correct". Can you take pictures while adjusting the screws?

+1 .........how would you be able test and adjust...rinse & repeat ???

Unfortunately it is quite difficult to do the procedure live view because of the fpv quality on the dji app. You have to go with trial and error. In my case I needed to slightly loosen two of the screws to achieve the fix. They are not spring loaded indeed but you really need very small adjustment and it will not affect overall assembly in any way.

I have soft focus on bottom left of photos...but not in video which is weird! Will try this fix when i have time. thx!

Cosmic video has a different field of view than the still camera and utilizes less of the sensor area.

I was tempted to try this but being a stroke victim my hands don't function as well as they once did and I did not want to void my return warranty. The replacement P2V I got last Friday is severely out of focus in the upper right quarter of the screen tapering down the right side edge to the bottom on stills (that is mostly what I shoot and the main reason I bought this thing). It is currently on the way back to my dealer. This is a DJI quality issue and in my opinion it is their problem to fix not mine. I feel like I am a paying Beta tester for them already I am not going to be their service tech too. I'll keep playing their game of find the good P2V if this is how they do their quality control through user inspection. Heck I am getting very good at re-packing P2V boxes and applying badging when unpacking new ones ;-)

yoceto- this is excellent detective work-welldone.

so- it's- fit new controller and receiver antenna
- design and fit new 3 axis gimble
- strip down camera and readjust camera sensor
- buy or make a camera case
- decode into english the english version of the phantom user guide
and I have a really good and stable camera platform all ready for a second MH 380 lookalike flyaway
because I may not have checked for corrosion on the battery connection pins.

Good stuff this from DJI- don't you just love it-I do.

Keep it coming lads!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik