How to contact Air Traffic Control of Smaller Airports

What do you mean by contact? Why would you need to do this?
You can get the frequency of the local approach control facility from the approach plates for the airport in question. They are published on line under digital terminal procedures by the FAA.

Some parks are within x miles of an executive airport or small landing strip.
Some posters have recommended calling the traffic controller to find it out if it is okay to fly under 150ft, etc.

Instead of looking at a map and looking at things like;
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_i ... ucts/dtpp/.

It would be nice to key in the zip code and see local airports, distances, control information,etc.

Likewise, I might want to monitor the frequency of the regional trauma helipad, even if it is not an airport. If there is something going on, I would want to ground the craft immediately.

Reactions: SGs
That site lets you plug in city and stat e info to find the local airports. You can contact the local approach control and for non towered airports there is a common frequency or unicom which is also listed on the approach plates. But things can change rapidly with regards to air traffic so i don't think this would be useful to you.

U may also surf nav Canada Web site for all heliport major ports of North America etc.

Unless your a licensed pilot in a real aircraft you do not want to contact any approach or tower on a radio. You should find the phone number for the appropriate facility and call. Google is your friend, as is an iOS app called Hover. It has a lot of contact phone numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: SGs
In fact, there was a post in another thread maybe 4-5 days ago saying he was a licensed pilot, and saying UAV pilots should definitely NOT be on the radio. He said he uses his cell phone to call the tower, even if he's on the runway!

Unless your a licensed pilot in a real aircraft you do not want to contact any approach or tower on a radio. You should find the phone number for the appropriate facility and call. Google is your friend, as is an iOS app called Hover. It has a lot of contact phone numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
What he said, NEVER contact the tower on radio unless your a licensed pilot in a real aircraft. You must remember that the controllers are not there for you, they are for manned aircraft only and if you are going to be flying in their airspace they deserve the respect of notifying them so that they can plan accordingly. However, doing so by radio would prevent another pilot from reaching them until your conversation with them is over. As a matter of fact, during our communication part of the flight training, they teach us to be as short and precise as possible in order to keep the airwave active for other pilots, for example, "Boca Tower, Skyhawk 738LM, at Signature requesting permission to taxi with Golf"

I have had the tower advise me to stay with them after exit off the active and hold for further taxi instructions.

As a licensed pilot myself, I use the AOPA (aircraft owners and pilots association) FlyQ app to reference airport data, weather, and contact information. Many smaller airports, like the one I fly out of in N. Fla is un-towered, meaning there isn't anyone on site. Most ATC and local tower operators are very easy going. If they are busy, it would be best to call back later. When first contacting them, ask if they are busy first. If not busy, they will gladly answer your questions. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav