How to clean Phantom 3 Gimbal

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I'm in Bali at the moment on vacation and have developed an issue with my gimbal.

I flew the phantom from a beach in the north of Bali that has high levels of iron deposits judging from the huge amount of iron that was stuck to the magnetised strip on my iPad cover that I dropped on the beach.

I took off from the top of my backpack as normal and noticed whilst flying that the gimbal was sticking on both the horizontal and vertical axis. I was one of the luck few who hasn't had issues with the gimbal in the past so I landed immediately (always hand catch) when I realised I couldn't move the camera up and down and it wouldn't correct the horizontal tilt from 45 degrees.

I landed and removed the battery and corrected the tilt in the camera manually and noticed the movement was no longer smooth when I rotated the camera manually though it's normal range of movement. I'm assuming some sand or iron has found its way into the motor which is causing it to stick and catch.

Repeatedly moving the camera through its range of movement has done something to free up the camera and make the movement more smooth at ground level but I'm still experiencing issues when in the air.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the gimbal?

Thanks for your help. Really don't want to have to send it in and lose it for two months.
Steve

Last edited:
I've given a hairdryer a go but it was, in my girlfriends words, a s**t hotel one.

Will see if I can pick up a rocket blower, that's a good shout. Thanks. If anyone has other ideas....

Will the that cleaning putty be able to access the areas that need to be cleaned?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav