How to check your Phantom 3 for stress cracks *VIDEO*

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I think this is a bigger issue than we realize. I could be wrong but I don't believe I am. Most people don't know what to look for so I made a quick video.

My P3 has 7 hours 52 minutes on the air frame for a total of 49 flights. I've been checking for cracks and found nothing until after my two 15 minute flights last night. No crashes.

Let me know if you guys find cracks like I did.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

UPDATE:
Got a call from DJI on July 2nd. The lady on the phone said she reviewed my video and pictures and said she would be sending me a new unit on Monday. She wants me to send mine back once I get mine.

Light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so.

Last edited:
Wonder if this is over torqued at the factory or too thin of plastic.... And the shell isn't warranted... I'd open 'er up and epoxy them mounts. I would use micro balloons to mix in the epoxy to give volume and lighten up the epoxy... That's just me though...

I think the shell is warrantied when it cracks from normal use.

Has anyone talked to DJI about their cracks yet? What was their response?

I spoke to DJI and they told me the shell is not covered, you can imagine how I felt on the phone.

They were willing to give me an RMA but I had to pay for shipping and the end result would've been me paying for the fix and waiting months for it to return. Great quad horrible customer service. The people on the phone have no clue...how long will DJI operate like this and succeed is beyond me.
Yes BS indeed!

I spoke to DJI and they told me the shell is not covered, you can imagine how I felt on the phone.

They were willing to give me an RMA but I had to pay for shipping and the end result would've been me paying for the fix and waiting months for it to return. Great quad horrible customer service. The people on the phone have no clue...how long will DJI operate like this and succeed is beyond me.
Yes BS indeed!

How much is just the shell?

I have the same cracking under normal use. Close to 140 flights on mine.

DJI should send out a replacment shell free of charge for those of us that have the problem.

Question. Can I take off the motor by removing the bottom screws and lift it up to apply some epoxy to the cracks from the inside? I'd like to lift the motor up without having to separate the shells.

Hey guys,

I think this is a bigger issue than we realize. I could be wrong but I don't believe I am. Most people don't know what to look for so I made a quick video.

My P3 has 7 hours 52 minutes on the air frame for a total of 49 flights. I've been checking for cracks and found nothing until after my two 15 minute flights last night. No crashes.

Let me know if you guys find cracks like I did.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great video thanks for bringing that to our attention. I'm going to check mine as soon as I get home. Another let down by DJI customer service, unwilling to cover a design flaw in their manufacturing.

So can we just back the screws that look to be set to deep? I do have one arm with a crack it's thin and I did have two mishaps.
Guess I go that route for now the rest of the bird is fine.

Once one falls out of the sky and hurts someone, due to the cracking, DJI will be forced to pay attention.

Kman, thanks for the video. I'm wondering if preemptively snugging up white zip ties around the arms there, right over the area where those screws are would shore up the weakness/twisting enough to have some benefit. Or possibly some type of strong/thin tape over the same area. I don't have the cracks yet (but obviously will, like everyone else will have with enough flying time) but I'm not quite ready to start supergluing the shell. I figure the zip ties wouldn't add much weight or aerodynamic interference and could be snipped off if needed. I have ZERO, I repeat, Z - E - R - O confidence that DJI will act honorably in acknowledging, correcting, or helping its existing P3 customers in any material way with this design defect. It's very clear to me, and I think the majority of the people who own these tools and follow these forums that we are totally on our own, once that initial purchase has been made.

According to Tahoe Ed on the RC group page he mentioned this is happening only to a hand full of pilots, I just can't understand how DJI is ignoring this

According to Tahoe Ed on the RC group page he mentioned this is happening only to a hand full of pilots, I just can't understand how DJI is ignoring this
I think the tsunami is just off shore and is about to hit hard as more people get flights under their belts and the cracks become widespread.

I think the tsunami is just off shore and is about to hit hard as more people get flights under their belts and the cracks become widespread.
Epic analogy!!!! @Oso

I think it could be country/weather dependant. My theory = Made in china in colder climates - sent to hotter climates = expansion on plastic/screws = cracks. Add vibrations from props and you'll get micro fractures. I think its best to retorque it to adjust to the new climate. Simply loosen and tighten to you what you think should hold the motors/air frame.

Reactions: Bigdz
I think it could be country/weather dependant. My theory = Made in china in colder climates - sent to hotter climates = expansion on plastic/screws = cracks. Add vibrations from props and you'll get micro fractures. I think its best to retorque it to adjust to the new climate. Simply loosen and tighten to you what you think should hold the motors/air frame.

I live in San Francisco. Not exactly warm.

Reactions: Bigdz

Some people are reporting their P3's are cracked before even their first flight. Like cracked when pulling out of the box.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.